MUSSELS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbs

For those of you who may of thought the mussel thing has been over played.
I took this photo in Hanson Creek on March 11, 2017.
Sorry don't know how to add a picture. But all I can say is scary !

Last edited:
For those of you who may of thought the mussel thing has been over played.
I took this photo in Hanson Creek on March 11, 2017.
Sorry don't know how to add a picture. But all I can say is scary !

Click edit at the bottom of your post. If your photo resides on the desktop just drag it and drop on the post. When the photo gets close the screen will change color and say Drop Photo Here:

Then you can chose whether to make it a thumbnail or full size. My guess is you should click thumbnail if the photo is regular (large) size.

If that does not work, email it to me and I will post it for you. [email protected]

I have heard that the mussels have filtered the water to the point that there are no nutrients left in the water at some locations, leaving a crystal clear environment that fish can not live in. I'm not suggesting Powell has that situation but I'm just wondering if anyone has heard that or is it a myth. Also not to belittle all the other destructive things attributed to the invasives.

I have heard that the mussels have filtered the water to the point that there are no nutrients left in the water at some locations, leaving a crystal clear environment that fish can not live in. I'm not suggesting Powell has that situation but I'm just wondering if anyone has heard that or is it a myth. Also not to belittle all the other destructive things attributed to the invasives.

That is my concern for the most vulnerable fish which include the plankton eaters (shad and stripers) and larval fish of all species. I keep looking downstream to see how the fisheries in mead Mohave and Havasu are faring. So far they are surviving quite well.

In the Great Lakes mussels eliminated the open water fish (alewives and chinook salmon) while the bottom dwellers (smallmouth bass and walleye) were able to find a new food chain.

Warm water that fluctuates helps keep the mussels from overwhelming the fishery and that has been a positive for Lake Powell.

My feeling is that there will always be a decent fishery in Lake Powell but it may be dominated by walleye and bass in the future (15-20 years) instead of stripers as it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back