Mussels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Fortier

I know I’m going to get totaly beat up by posting this but that’s ok. I just spent a few days on the lake in bullfrog bay , yes I saw all the mussels in the dark areas generally on the north faces in the shade, yes I saw all the fried mussels above the water line witch seem to be dried up to powder , I did run into Ticcaboo Dan who says he has some special sauce to keep them off my motors and pontoons on my house boat , I have never seen the water so clean this time of year in bullfrog this is due to the mussels , please explain why this is all bad having mussels ?? 4TA

Thanks for the feed back, I like every one else that goes to the lake all the time have been very upset about them , but I have to say seeing the water so clear and the fact that there is a way to keep them off the boats I’m just reaching out to see what every one else is thinking . Thanks

This year the first thing I noticed was that I kept breaking line off. Turned out not to be breaks but mussel shells cutting the line. Had to do some changing in my old habits to quit loosing jigs.

We had to send one of our party to the clinic to have several stitches put in her knee when she accidentally brushed it against a rock outcropping.
Maybe that will be my million dollar idea, Kevlar wet suits. Oh wait, did I say that out loud?

Bruce

clearer water also means more light penetration. More light means more algae growth. More algea means more floating gooey green slime.

There is no benefit to these mussels. They change the entire ecosystem of the waters they are in. There is a very good reason that the entire country (not just the West!) is trying to prevent transporting them to new waters.

Still, 4TA, a good question nonetheless. To me, clarity really sets apart all of the boating in the southwest. At its best? Liquid snow.

The clearer the water gets, the less plankton there is for fish to eat.

That's about as simple as it gets....:cool:

The clearer the water gets, the less plankton there is for fish to eat.

That's about as simple as it gets....:cool:
Some fish populations in the Great Lakes have really benefited from quagga.

I’m not saying that they are a good thing, but they are the new reality. And I think Lake Powell will remain a special place. Just different than what we are used to.

It doesn’t do any good to sit and bemoan them. I wish the lake didn’t get infected. And I believe it could have been prevented. But that ship has sailed.

I am beyond dissapointed, We went for a week in July and left after 4 days. The beaches were stinky, crunchy and a eye sore. So much so that we are selling the boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back