MSNBC Guest: Hunters Use Suppressors So Deer Can’t Hear Them [VIDEO]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbaby

Escalante-Class Member
http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/02/m...r-cant-hear-them-video/?utm_source=site-share

MSNBC Guest: Hunters Use Suppressors So Deer Can’t Hear Them [VIDEO]

Former FBI agent Manny Gomez claimed on MSNBC on Monday that hunters use suppressors so that deer cannot hear the gunshots.

WATCH:

Play Video
Play
0:00
/
1:31

Fullscreen
Firearm owners actually use suppressors to prevent hearing loss, and even with a suppressor, a firearm would still be loud enough to spook a deer or other wild game.

“Sportsmen, hunters would make an argument that they need that so that their target, whether it’s a deer, etc. don’t hear the shot,” Gomez claimed, “but numerous other sportsmen have shot from muskets–when the founding fathers started the Second Amendment–up until now successfully killed game animals without the use of a silencer.”

In addition to misrepresenting the reasons hunters and other firearm enthusiasts choose to use suppressors, the former FBI agent claimed that crime will increase if suppressors are made more widely available.

“It gets us more assassinations and a higher crime rate,” Gomez said of efforts to loosen regulations on suppressors. “Silencers were made for one purpose and one purpose alone–that’s nefariously kill people with little evidence and little to no sound.”

Over the past decade, an average of 0.003 percent of suppressors were used in crimes each year. There are currently about 1.3 million suppressors in circulation in the United States, and the level of noise made by suppressed guns has been compared to jackhammers.

Personally I would like to use them to protect my hearing, but you still have to jump through to many hoops.

Is he an idiot or a liar?
I'm not sure if he's an idiot or a liar, but he's definitely not a hunter. By the time an animal hears the report of my rifle(which doesn't have a suppressor/silencer), it's already too late for them.

Maybe the OTHER deer don't hear the rifle and therefore don't run away....??
Contrary to what TV & the movies would have you believe, suppressors are not particularly quiet. There are a great many things that a deer is capable of hearing long before the very loud report of a rifle shot, one of which is the report of a suppressed rifle shot or even ......

Years ago a friend, describing his childhood, told me of growing up on a farm in the Texas Hill Country. His father being both a fan of deer hunting and beer would frequently get up before dawn, grab his rifle and a six pack or two before heading out into the woods to go deer hunting.o_O The terms 'deer' and 'beer' are interchangeable save the fact that he actually bagged a beer now and then.

Anyway, his father would go a good quarter to half mile into the woods. On a cool quiet morning in the country you could hear every twig snap, every footstep, every curse word until it would finally get very quiet. At that point you would then hear a pop-top on a beer can as if it was just across the table from you. Every few minutes there would be another pop-top resound through the forest. Before long, when the beer supply had run out, the noise would stop and this poor drunken sot would slowly tromp back to the house. :confused: Now what you never heard on those mornings were any gunshots, because any deer went a county over at the first raucous sound.:eek:

Just sayin',
Goblin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back