Moving houseboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what I have to do and what it costs to be able to move our boat out of the park and maybe out of state. Decon ect ect. Not trucking costs

I have no knowledge on the subject, but am interested to hear what you find out.

any of the transport companies can let you know what paperwork you need to move a boat, back in 2010 moving a boat from lake Powell to California it had to have a visual inspection for muscles besides all the normal transport paperwork. I do not know at this time if that has changed, but do know if your heading through port of entry's in Utah and Colorado you will be stopped and inspected.

The decon will likely be scraping, powerwashing, and drying any places that could hold water then waiting 30 days this time of year unless you can prove you got a good enough freeze to take care of the mussels through enough nights of freezing. A good freeze will eliminate the 30-day wait but won't eliminate the need for the scraping and powerwashing.

The cost of the scraping and powerwashing will, of course, depend on the level of infestation. If it gives you a starting point, Offshore charged me about $300 for this year and about the same last year for our annual powerwash and mussel removal for our 65' X 18' pontoon boat.

When we moved our boat from Mohave to Powell it was $650 for the mussel removal and $2600 for the trucking if I remember correctly. Game and Fish had to inspect the boat prior to moving. I was told it would be worse if we crossed state lines

From what I am hearing, the main concern is the mussels and transporting of them. Decontamination would be your biggest legal hurdle but not the most expensive. Everything else would be the transport costs such as pilot services, trucking company, permits, and Port of Entry permits for going across state lines. I just heard a trucking quote for a 50' Boatel to go from Offshore to Navajo for $3700. Another trucking company quoted $6k. If your are looking for transport, I can give you his #.

Dave what I'm trying to figure out is when the boat comes out with your trucking co connection , how will we be able to get boat deconed and on the road at the same time. The trucker is coming from GJ . Can we get it scraped and washed and then driven to Navaho and left out of the water till spring to finish the 30 day dry period?

So, off shore is outside the park. This is going to be tough to sell our boat to someone taking it to Navaho lake. They want to haul it there and work on it for a few months before putting it in the water.

I think that is going to be tough to move a houseboat from Powell to Colorado. Unless Colorado's rules are different for houseboats than it is for regular boats (and I doubt it is), you will have to do another inspection and decontamination in Colorado as well. Colorado will not honor a Utah deconn.

Its New Mexico, but probably the same .

I am not familiar with the routes to Navajo, but if it goes through Colorado, my statement still holds.

I have seen FB posts from Colorado State Parks at least twice touting how they had a huge success when they intercepted a boat from Powell headed to Navajo that had mussels attached.

Personally, I think the best thing to do would be to pull the boat from Powell and keep it in dry storage for 30 plus days. At that point, the mussels will be dead, and hopefully you can transport. Then it will just be a matter of cleaning the boat when it reaches its new home (and probably another quarantine). I am not sure how you can have a transporter come to the lake, pull the boat, and transport without some sort of significant delay, wether that is a quarantine, or a deconn.

I just see no point in wasting time and money on a deconn in Utah or Arizona when the next state will not recognize it.

There REALLY needs to be a uniform response to ANS/AIS. But we have been saying that for what, 10 years now? I'm not holding my breath that it will happen anytime soon.

The mussels will need removed, 30 day quarantine and a certified decontamination inspection before transport. They will let you move it to Offshore for the quarantine. It took us almost three months to get moved by the time we made it through all the delays. The trucker would not schedule until they knew the inspection had passed and they were booking three to four weeks out.

I just read Waynes post on this and it says that the boat must be decontaminated and left to dry for 30 days before being launched in any Utah lakes. It doesn't say it cant be dried somewhere else . I don't see why if its professionally decontaminated it cant then be moved somewhere else to dry.

Makes sense to me but of course the legalities sometimes don't always make sense. Hope you can do it that way.

Both Utah and Arizona have laws on the books that you cannot move a boat with a live mussel attached. This means you are fenced in even getting the boat to New Mexico unless it is cleared of all muscles and since New Mexico wishes to remain mussel-free they have set up border checkpoints as well...

New rules to battle aquatic invasive species now in effect
New Mexico Department of Game & Fish sent this bulletin at 07/18/2017 11:12 AM MDT
nmdgf-newsbanner_crop.jpg

New Mexico Department of Game and Fish
Public contact, Information Center: (888) 248-6866
Media contact: Karl Moffatt: (505) 476-8007
[email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, July 18, 2017:

New rules to battle aquatic invasive species now in effect
SANTA FE – New rules to combat the spread of aquatic invasive species in New Mexico went into effect July 11.

Changes include:

• Watercraft owners are required to stop at an inspection station whenever one is set up and in operation.
  • Mandatory inspection and, if necessary, decontamination is required of all out-of-state registered watercraft or watercraft re-entering the state of New Mexico.
  • All boaters are required to “pull the plug” and completely drain watercraft when transporting on a New Mexico roadway.

“The boating public’s cooperation is essential in our fight to prevent destructive invasive species such as zebra and quagga mussels from infecting our waterways,” said James Dominiguez, aquatic invasive species coordinator for the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish. “These changes will help our watercraft inspectors and law enforcement personnel as they conduct watercraft inspections at our waterbodies.”

New Mexico is one of only six western states that remain free of zebra or quagga mussel infestation, but is surrounded by states where the invasive species have been found. The mussels can attach to boats and grow quickly, leading to encrusted equipment and clogged water pipes. Their spread also poses a risk to our native aquatic wildlife, hydroelectric power systems and surface water delivery lines used for municipalities and agriculture.

Inspectors are stationed at various lakes and reservoirs throughout the state to ensure that watercraft are completely clean, drained and dry before launching. Boaters can help by adopting these measures on their own.

For more information about the battle against aquatic invasive species please visit www.wildlife.state.nm.us/ais and www.facebook.com/aquaticaliens or contact the department’s Aquatic Invasive Species Coordinator, James Dominguez, (505) 476-8163, or [email protected].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back