More than 2 poles? Question for Wayne...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gem Morris

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Some of our surrounding states (Idaho for sure) allow up to 6 poles per person. Limits of fish still apply.

Doesn't this make a lot of sense? Especially at a lake like Powell where there aren't limits on stripers and walleye?

Has this been considered? If not would you consider bringing it up?

Utah was way late to the game on allowing corn. If my facts are right we were the last western state to allow corn after years of being told corn kills fish which apparently isn't the case.

Maybe Utah is behind on this other issue as well?

Wyoming has special ice fishing regulations on some lakes that allow for up to 6 tip ups or rods....only 2 rods otherwise. Not sure how having more than 2 would be helpful in open water. Sounds like a recipe for a giant cluster-F to me!!!!

Some of our surrounding states (Idaho for sure) allow up to 6 poles per person. Limits of fish still apply.

Doesn't this make a lot of sense? Especially at a lake like Powell where there aren't limits on stripers and walleye?

Has this been considered? If not would you consider bringing it up?

Utah was way late to the game on allowing corn. If my facts are right we were the last western state to allow corn after years of being told corn kills fish which apparently isn't the case.

Maybe Utah is behind on this other issue as well?

Please explain how you would use 6 rods so I have a better understanding of your question.

Double stacking 2 downriggers for a total of 4 that way and 2 out on leaded line. I do this regularly for Kokanee.

If fishing was fast and furious for stripers it wouldn't make any sense to run 6 but it helps a lot to establish a pattern for Kokanee

Please explain how you would use 6 rods so I have a better understanding of your question.
I agree with Gem. Two poles double stacked on two downriggers. And then the other two would be used depending on circumstances: with a small lead ball, top water deep-diver, outriggers, flies, etc. (You feel free to use your six as you best imagine).

I don't imagine most people would take advantage of a 6 pole limit, but those of us with turbo excitement, cross-fishing-environment experience and fishing imagination would LOVE it.

In year's past I've so enjoyed fishing a set line as well at LP. Where else in the the USA can a sport fisherman do that?

If the resources don't support a six pole limit, then I'm happy with as few poles as management deems correct (even zero if it ever got that bad). But... if the resources can support and sustain more fish being caught (and eaten) then set free my imagination to practice multi-environment tactics and catch 'em up.

A million thanks to Wayne, the admins and the community in general. This forum is excellent. And we are all so fortunate to be able to 'meet up' and talk about the lake we all love so much.

F/W Fishwhistle

Thats a long time to wait to get a change made. I liked the way Canada made changes to their proclamation. Their standard proclamation was for several years so they did not have to print and distribute new proclamations each year, but it was your responsibility to check for changes that may have been made for the specific water you were fishing. This made it so they could make changes immediately if needed. Our system seems to be really slow. Some changes can be made slowly and this may be one of them. Other changes need to be made fast.

Also if you can use 6 poles you should be able to use more than 3 hooks. I think it states I can use three tremble hooks, but not five single hooks (crazy).

My dad likes to troll with two poles. IMO, that makes it more work than fun. I'll stick to one line, but would support the change for those that would want to fish with multiples.

My dad likes to troll with two poles. IMO, that makes it more work than fun. I'll stick to one line, but would support the change for those that would want to fish with multiples.
I'm with ya Ryan , more than 1 rod gets to be work, used to stack for kokes but with manual dr not allot of fun. If your up to it though why not going to Target g striper or walleye so no limit save some shad!

Had just bought my wife a new rig, spent about 250. Couldn't imagine her having to go to the trouble of breaking the combo in so "volunteered" to go down to the dam and try it out with some buddies. Had my trusty 2 pole set up and the chains were on fire. While reeling a striper in with my pole, one of the guys asked me how long I was gonna let the striper yank on my wifes pole, funny guy. Before I could grab it she was gone. Sure liked explaining that to the wife. That told me I can't even take care of 2 poles. How could I possibly handle six. To much work for me. I know y'all are saying that you're just better fishermen. Yakkity Yak.

Stacking poles in holders is the only way it will work. It is now legal for one angler to use 2 poles. As described above catching stripers on bait or casting makes it impossible to handle both rods easily. Holding 6 is a night mare.

I can see how down riggers and rod holders make it possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back