Moon Phase affect on fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS MCBETH

McNabb took us out last October 9th and we only caught 5 fish worth keeping.

He said it was the worst day of fishing he and his son had ever been on (we still had a fantastic time and learned a LOT including surface fishing techniques that continue to pay off every time we go out!)

He blamed it on the full moon and wind.

That was the first I’d heard of the moons affect on successful catching.

Anyone here care to weigh in? Preferably with scientific (or direct experience) vs opinion 😏

Last edited:
I do not fully understand why, but with all things being equal a full moon can make fishing success less than a similar day with the less light at night. Just remember that full moon is only one of many factors that comes into play. For instance in April warming water temperatures are much more important than full moon in fishing success. A drop in temperature shuts fish down on full moon or dark nights.

When shad are spawning and forage becomes more abundant then full moon is forgotten by fish.

When temperature and lake elevation is stable in summer or winter then full moon is the only major change and it has more impact than when temperatures are changing.

Full moon is much like barometric temperature change. Humans don't feel it but fish and other animals react to these changes. When moon is full the gravitational pull is at its peak. When dark the gravitational pull is less. I do not fully understand what full moon does. I have had great days fishing under a full moon and really bad days as well.

If I had to choose I would avoid the full moon and 2 days after. If I had the choice of going fishing on full moon or staying home - I would go fishing.

Last edited:
I do not fully understand why, but with all things being equal a full moon can make fishing success less than a similar day with the les light at night. Just remember that full moon is only one of many factors that comes into play. For instance in April warming water temperatures are much more important than full moon in fishing success. A drop in temperature shuts fish down on full moon or dark nights.

When shad are spawning and forage becomes more abundant then full moon is forgotten by fish.

When temperature and lake elevation is stable in summer or winter then full moon is the only major change and it has more impact than when temperatures are changing.

Full moon is much like barometric temperature change. Humans don't feel it but fish and other animals react to these changes. When moon is full the gravitational pull is at its peak. When dark the gravitational pull is less. I do not fully understand what full moon does. I have had great days fishing under a full moon and really bad days as well.

If I had to choose I would avoid the full moon and 2 days after. If I had the choice of going fishing on full moon or staying home - I would go fishing.

Thanks Wayne. I figured you’d have a practical, helpful, experience-based answer... and you did.

#Waynepedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back