MMSI DSC VHF Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sollly

So I have searched the forums and I am trying to come to a conclusion on this feature of our radios.
Is it worth registering and obtaining an MMSI number and connecting my radio to a GPS input for use AT LAKE POWELL?
Is anyone listening that will get my distress signal and coordinates If my signal were to reach a listening station, or am I just as well of trying to reach someone on 16 who can relay info to authorities?
I am installing a new Icom tomorrow and need to know if it's worth the trouble to register and connect it to my Humminbird Helix 7 GPS output.

Thanks All!!

Solly, Emphatic Yes! Registration is easy and the connection is usually simple. DSC doesn't just ring thebell at NPS (if they are even listening), it rings EVERYBODYS bell. You are far more likely to get assistance sooner from a nearby boat. Plus, there is a special "wordlings" number you can program into your radio to call or hear nearby wordlings! Search this site for "VHF Radio DSC". May take some sifting through for more specific info, but there are about 10 pages of posts on the topic! Out of time this morning, but will check back later to see if someone else hasn't chimed in as well!
GregC

Here is a link to the thread.

Thanks. I have read through all the threads and decided for the extra $30 cable required it is a no brainer. I have already registered and received an MMSI #. If anything increases chances of getting help even a fraction It's worth it.

Also wondering if anyone has used their Humminbird Helix 7 NMEA output for the GPS signal to VHF??

Hi all. New here but been on Lake Powell Several times Something you may wish to consider and does not break the bank if you have a immediate need for 2 way to communication with any one any ware from any ware on Lake Powell (except in a cave for instance) or a mountain top , the ocean etc with family or friends or send SOS to GEOS with detailed map of you location Is get Garmin inReach. I can with in minutes SMS or email with family almost any ware in the world from lake powell or anyware with out cell service or radio distance as long as I got sky For instance I’m on lake powell and my wife can send me a text from PHX AZ or I can send to her and she will get the text message and a “detail colored map “ with lat and Long on her phone of my location. And set preset send pings automatically so if they wish they can see where I’ve been with out asking. I can also communicate with another inReach Like house boat to power boat or PWC if need be for general communication or emergency I can request detailed weather report of my location when I feel like it

Sollly we have the original Delorme inReach SE. before garmin bought them and my brother has the newer garmin inReach explorer +. Both work and talk to each other. Also friend has the SE and we have them linked also. Th SE is basic but You can blue tooth either to you cell phone also So you can use your cell phone with map app and gps Through your inReach for faster typing and maps as long as it’s in blue tooth range. But the cell phone does not need cell service So for instance with your inReach you can text or email to any one who has cell or internet service , but you don’t need cell or internet. It is satellite You do need a subscription. There are 3 options So far I use the monthly I can turn it on or off per month. There are some limits on texts in some cases or subscription types . Also the web site to set up your profile you can add contacts blood type if you wish , link it to face book if you like that. If you are a out door person in Mountains or lakes etc that you may or may not have cell communication. consider it for your safety and your loved ones for ease of communication when you are away.

Sounds good the me, I don’t have the power mount as the battery lasts and have usb on the 19 ft tracker targa And I have a goal zero Ventura 30 power unit with solar for multi day backpack of grid

On a side note we will be on lake powell in sept, have a 59 ft rented out of Wahweap for a week and bringing the tracker targa and both inReaches again Counting down the days have fun and be safe all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back