MMC Expert in Page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed_on_WD

Can anyone recommend a shop in Page that is REALLY GOOD at fixing with the little gremlins affecting MMC units? It would be great if they also stocked the related parts.

My trip is about 3 weeks from now, and the annoying MMC problems have been stacking up, and now there is a chance that by the time our trip comes around, the MMCs might not be working at all. We've been dealing with failures to shift for most of this season, and now there's an alarm that goes away if revved past 2,000 rpm, but it screams continuously below 2,000 rpm. We've got fresh 5.7 Mercruisers and fresh Bravo ll outdrives.

Our boat is a 2004 Summerset at Antelope Point. If everything goes bad, we'll pull the boat and bring it into town if that is what it takes.

Help!

Last edited:
Lake Powell Marine fixed the MMC problems that the mechanics at Antelope Point couldn’t but that’s not saying much because the shifting problems with the MMC could be fixed by banging the box in the engine hatch according to the antelope point mechanics 😂

Thanks for the reply.

You wouldn't happen to know if Lake Powell Marine is approved to service on the water at Antelope? It's a long shot, but worth asking.

Peak season is just ending, so maybe they would have the time, hopefully. The boat is uplake currently, but when it gets back in we'll decide whether to pull it or not. We're trying to line up the options to save our trip, if it becomes necessary. My wife is part of the management team for the boat, so she'll be contacting LPM.

Anyone else have success with another outfit, just in case LPM can't fit us in?

I doubt it. As far as I know Jerry Moyes (50% owner of APM with the Navajo nation) allows no one to work on the boats there except their own mechanics.

LPM can work on the water at Wahweap

Last edited:
Try replacing the battery serving that engine with a new 12 volt starter battery before you spend any money Chasing a ghost. The electric throttles do NOT like low batteries. Old west marine and Bulldog are both able to track Down this issue if the NEW BATTERY does not fix it.

Try replacing the battery serving that engine with a new 12 volt starter battery before you spend any money Chasing a ghost. The electric throttles do NOT like low batteries. Old west marine and Bulldog are both able to track Down this issue if the NEW BATTERY does not fix it.
If I remember correctly, all the batteries in the back are new for this season.

Thanks for the tips on Bulldog and Old West Marine. We'll make some more phone calls.

Not sure which brand system you have. We have a twin disc system and it's been acting up on my port shifter. I think it's the cables getting stiff so we are replacing the cables from the control box to the engine shift cable adapter.

When i take that cable off and switch gears by hand it's smooth. But with the cable from the servos to engine adapter it's pretty tight.

Might be worth checking to make sure your cables are smooth before you falsly blame the electrical system. Haha

Mike

Check your drive oil reservoir levels. This will throw a buzzer alarm and is a pretty simple check. Bravo outdrives are pretty sensitive to shift cable adjustments & there is a specific procedure & tooling to set the adjustment. I'm not sure if this will apply if you have some type of electronic shift but this is the adjustment procedure & it's easy to go through. We were having shifting issues on our B1 due to stretched cables and a re-adjustment fixed it. https://www.cpperformance.com/instructions/bravo-shift-adjust.pdf

Check your drive oil reservoir levels. This will throw a buzzer alarm and is a pretty simple check. Bravo outdrives are pretty sensitive to shift cable adjustments & there is a specific procedure & tooling to set the adjustment. I'm not sure if this will apply if you have some type of electronic shift but this is the adjustment procedure & it's easy to go through. We were having shifting issues on our B1 due to stretched cables and a re-adjustment fixed it. https://www.cpperformance.com/instructions/bravo-shift-adjust.pdf
Wow! Thanks! Your tip and this .pdf taught me more about the MMC than I ever knew before.

This gives me confidence that the unit can be tuned up instead of replaced.

Edited to add: I found a plastic version of the proper steel adjustment tool 91-12427 on Amazon for less than $10. Seems like a no brainer to buy this tool and stash it on board. Should future problems arise, it'll make me feel really smart to have this tool and a print out of the 4 page .pdf instructions explaining the adjustment procedure together in a zip lock bag. Hey, a good boy scout is always prepared.

Now, we just have to see what shape the MMCs are in when the houseboat gets back to the marina from its current trip uplake.

Last edited:
Lake Powell Marine fixed the MMC problems that the mechanics at Antelope Point couldn’t but that’s not saying much because the shifting problems with the MMC could be fixed by banging the box in the engine hatch according to the antelope point mechanics 😂
When they bang the box do they use......

An MMC.......Hammer?

And sing: You can't touch this!

😋

Can anyone recommend a shop in Page that is REALLY GOOD at fixing with the little gremlins affecting MMC units? It would be great if they also stocked the related parts.

My trip is about 3 weeks from now, and the annoying MMC problems have been stacking up, and now there is a chance that by the time our trip comes around, the MMCs might not be working at all. We've been dealing with failures to shift for most of this season, and now there's an alarm that goes away if revved past 2,000 rpm, but it screams continuously below 2,000 rpm. We've got fresh 5.7 Mercruisers and fresh Bravo ll outdrives.

Our boat is a 2004 Summerset at Antelope Point. If everything goes bad, we'll pull the boat and bring it into town if that is what it takes.

Help!
Ed,
the person to call is -- Bill -- 1-360-914-0256 ---- He not only sells the units, but was part of the engineering and design team that built them.
I purchased some units from him a number of years ago, and on the phone he walked me through ALL the process of setting up and calibrating -- he also helped me trouble shoot the original units. Needless to say, he is very good at figuring out the issues.

Top Shop at Antelope!

Bill is a great resource, he's been helpful and taught me a few things when I needed help. He also rebuilds the units if you ever need that done, sometimes he's got one ready to go and you can send yours back as a core, Someone else mentioned voltage, that's true, they demand good steady voltage so change batteries often. I find that and relays and their crappy aging holders are often the source of your ghosts

Last year I bought a boat out of the Antelope storage yard. They were kind enough to let me work on it there, I hung new outboards on the old boat, I hired Top Shop there onsite to help me make connections from the MMC's to the motors. The guys they sent did great work! The lead guy really knew MMC's. He reprogrammed them and got both of them working perfectly in 30 minutes. It's 80's and 90's technology even if your boat is from the 2000's. They are good and reliable but at this point they are antiques. You program them with two buttons and blinking lights, no blue tooth interface, no app or display screen.

His name was Justin Yellowhair, I made note of his name incase I ever needed him again, he and his Buddy were just so good. Ask for Justin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back