Mid May walleye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry

Is the best place to fish walleye May on the flats and points on the main lake or side canyons and bays ?

The two spots that held the most walleye in May (we’ve run into) were on gravel stretches that were in between the main shore and an island. Positioned the boat above the shallow part of the connection of the island and casted towards deeper water. Slayed them. This was a morning and a late afternoon bite in two separate but similari looking spots. We never really specifically target walleye but if we catch one in May we’ll target that spot for an extended period of time. These two spots were in bigger bays but we’ve also ran into a bunch of eyes back in canyons in May. Definitely the best time to catch them.

Some really good Walleye anglers here, hopefully they share some of their secrets.
7C2E3CE9-F122-40E1-A8FA-C497E8D4F684.jpeg

Is the best place to fish walleye May on the flats and points on the main lake or side canyons and bays ?
I think both places are good, but the biggest factor is how much daylight those locations are receiving when being fished. I specifically targeted walleye in the lower portion of Lake Powell last May. Here is what I found. The best action was early in the morning before sunrise in areas adjacent to deep water, such as either side of Padre Point. When the sunlight hits the water, the walleye bite stops. If the sky is overcast, the walleye bite is extended a couple hours. Most walleye were caught between 3 to 25 feet deep. In the middle of the day, I picked up walleye in the narrow slot canyons where the sun never shines. The most effective lure was a 3 to 4 inch long chartruese grub on a 1/8 to 1/4 ounce jig head. Putting a piece of nightcrawler on a lure converts the lure into a walleye magnet. Walleye are like catfish, they like meat. You won't catch many catfish on artificial lures. You won't catch many walleye on artificial lures either, unless you put some meat on it.

To target walleye in the lower lake, I suggest launching at dark thirty in the morning and fishing the points adjacent to deep water, such as Padre Point. Fish the east side of the point first because that is the side to receive the sunlight first. When the sun comes up, then fish the west side of the point which will be in the shade. If the sky is overcast, the walleye bite may last until 10am, if not, the bite may shut down around 8am......GOOD LUCK!

This spring I am planning a walleye trip to the upper lake the first 2 weeks in May. My plans are to take my travel trailer and bass boat to Halls Crossing Marina. Then make day trips out of Halls Crossing and fish between the San Juan to Good Hope Bay. I have never fished the upper end of the lake yet. I am assuming the more turbid water in the upper lake causes the walleye bite to last longer during the daytime. I will be monitoring this thread for tips on where to catch walleye in the upper lake. Thanks in advance for information and I hope the info I provided on the lower lake is helpful.

Last edited:
Both places are good. The biggest factor is how much daylight are those locations receiving when fishing them. I specifically targeted walleye in the lower portion of Lake Powell last May. Here is what found. The best action was early in the morning before sunrise in areas adjacent to deep water, such as either side of Padre Point. When the sunlight hits the water, the walleye bite stops. If the sky is overcast, the walleye bite is extended a couple hours. Most walleye were caught between 3 to 30 feet deep. In the middle of the day, I picked up walleye in the narrow slot canyons where the sun never shines. The most effective lure was a 3 to 4 inch long chartruese grub on a 1/8 to 1/4 ounce jig head. Putting a piece of nightcrawler on a lure converts the lure into a magnet for walleye. Walleye are like catfish, they like meat. You won't catch many catfish on artificial lures. You won't catch as many walleye without using meat either.

The visibility of the water in Lake Powell is very clear. So it is helpful to use the most invisible fishing line known to mankind so the fish cannot see it. I use 8 pound test clear flourocarbon fishing line.

To target walleye, I launch my boat at dark thirty in the morning and head to Padre Point. I fish the east side of the point first because that is the side to receive the sunlight first. When the sun comes up, I then fish the west facing side of the point which is shaded. If the sky is overcast, the bite may last until 10am, if not, the bite may shut down around 8am.

This spring I am planning a walleye trip to the upper lake the first 2 weeks in May. My plans are to take my travel trailer and bass boat to Halls Crossing Marina. Then make day trips out of Halls Crossing Marina and spend the night there at the RV park. I have never fished the upper end of the lake yet. I will be monitoring this thread for tips on where to catch walleye in the upper lake the first half of May. Thanks in advance for information and I hope the info I provided on the lower lake is helpful.
We are heading May 12 for a week . 1st trip . Camping at Stanton Campground. We will work north from there. Pulling bottom bouncers with worm harness. Catch a fish and spot lock fish with jigs .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back