Mid Lake July 3 - 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Did our annual "big trip" to the lake over Independence Day. Only 10 of us went this time. Got to the lake the night of July 3, stayed there until Saturday, July 13.

Leaving Denver was the worst traffic I have yet encountered going up I70. I think it took is 2.5 hours to get to the tunnel (usually can make it in less than an hour).

Please tell all your friends that Colorado is a TERRIBLE place to live, and that they should look elsewhere.
Qi2c3Gf.jpg

Once we got to the lake I was a little worried that we were going to feel crowded here too. There were less boats in the slips than I have ever seen, and the bouy field (especially Halls) was deserted.

We always launch/park at the Executive Ramp/Dock (I'll still call it that even though there isn't a dock there right now :( ). This time, had to park clear up by the old Marina store. We had lots of company up there.

Tried leaving the marina on July 4th, but apparently a higher power thought we should stay in the marina and enjoy the holiday. Won't bore you with that story, but we did enjoy the fireworks from the slips.

Left on July 5th, headed south to find a campsite. We had half of the crew join us mid-week, so we did not get to camp at my favorite area of the lake, but we still found a pretty good spot.
fPWBEkh.jpg

I did have my trusty, trained raven with me to take some photos along with my go-pro.

When I talk about the ideal spot for me being somewhere that the wind/waves/wakes can't get you, and you are somewhat remote, this is what I have in mind. This spot had the added bonus of afternoon shade.
jC4O4O3.jpg

2VJcPnD.jpg

While the weather was nice, the water is cooler than a "normal" Independence Day trip for us. The boat said it was 80*. But it was cool enough that we had to cut short our water base ball game after about 2 hours. It was just too cool for us to spend longer in the water. I am sure it had nothing to do with the fact that we are all getting older and more out-of-shape.

Anyway, there was lounging to be done.
UCeNUmE.jpg

And also some adult beverages that needed to be drank.
jOnjYQe.jpg

I know I said in another thread that I don't like loud music. Well, there is always the exception that proves the rule. Here we were enjoying Madison Rising version of our National Anthem.
rprTJha.jpg

We did get a few strange looks driving down lake with costumes on.
MDFYRZ2.jpg

XUkHcdX.jpg

Sounds like an awesome trip!!! Our normal week is right now so I'm Itching to go but I changed for August this year. Ditto on what he said about the drive from Denver, there's other states that have weed now, can everyone go there instead?? I need to borrow that Raven when we head there in 3 weeks, killer shots. We stayed in that EXACT little spot for just a night a few years ago coming up from Escalante back to Bullfrog. That is a SWEET little honey hole across from the Rincon. Looks like you had some great flat water for pulling, that's what we do mostly. I try to fit in some time to kill stripers here and there when I can.

Here is your spot 3 years ago....5567

Last edited:
Ryan, how far up the San Juan did you go? How was the floating debris up there. I had no crew for my houseboat this year, so I am in withdrawl. Thanks for your pictures.

Ryan, how far up the San Juan did you go? How was the floating debris up there. I had no crew for my houseboat this year, so I am in withdrawl. Thanks for your pictures.
Unfortunately my friends boat was a bit limited in fuel range. We went almost to Cha but it was clear of debris up to that point. Much better than Escalante.

Unfortunately my friends boat was a bit limited in fuel range. We went almost to Cha but it was clear of debris up to that point. Much better than Escalante.

Tell me more about Escalante. Where did the debris start, or was there debris everywhere?

WOW, Bryan you and your group, have got me fevered up, nice picture's and report. Look's like you had a great time. And your right, the older we get, the colder that water get's.
Thank's, and have a good one.

Looks like a good trip.
I'm sure you know trained Ravens are a no no though. Set an example for the next generation and leave the trained Raven at home please. Think of the kids. Just like the music and lots of other things, rules usually made for a good reason.

I been living in Summt County for 25yrs. Things have certainly grown. Leaving Silverthorne to go to Denver and back has been a major chore. I’ve decided not to go anymore 😬

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back