Mid-Lake Fall Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

We spent fall break at Powell. October 16-20. Having read the reports I wasn’t planning on this being a serious fishing trip and we planned for long day hikes every afternoon. I was hoping to find a few boils as we planned to stay mobile and cover many miles and sleep where our adventures led us. We hiked just across from Rincón on the big rock slab, Hole in the Rock, Escalante river bottom, Rainbow bridge, and a few short hikes in the San Juan arm. Fish were steady on the sonar at 50-80’. We stopped several times and tried spoons, and anchovies with no luck. I have a couple down riggers and I was able to catch a few using them at about 60’, but it was still slow compared to normal. On Friday and Saturday morning we fished the rocky shoreline in San Juan and found smallies on every other cast. We fished for less than 2 hours each time and ended up with around 60 fish both times. There were some really nice bluegill and a couple nice largemouth. I never caught a walleye or a crappie this trip. My 18 year old daughter brought a friend that had never fished Powell and he’s addicted. We’ll have to go back when the fishing is good and see what he thinks.

Attachments

• B752568D-BE86-4FD7-B61F-CD59348F0C60.jpeg
    B752568D-BE86-4FD7-B61F-CD59348F0C60.jpeg
    721.4 KB · Views: 142
  • E38B2E40-EFCE-496E-BD93-B786558AA576.jpeg
    E38B2E40-EFCE-496E-BD93-B786558AA576.jpeg
    748.3 KB · Views: 150
  • D53C4A7D-3506-441D-9FAC-D4FAB3D7824E.jpeg
    D53C4A7D-3506-441D-9FAC-D4FAB3D7824E.jpeg
    623.3 KB · Views: 144
I forgot to mention that we didn’t see a single boil the entire trip. We saw more Bighorn sheep than I’ve ever seen along with wild horses, and had a few burros in our camp in San Juan one morning.

Attachments

• 8BD1E117-E31C-4CDF-BC5B-638C8F8F1CA9.jpeg
    8BD1E117-E31C-4CDF-BC5B-638C8F8F1CA9.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 70
We spent fall break at Powell. October 16-20. Having read the reports I wasn’t planning on this being a serious fishing trip and we planned for long day hikes every afternoon. I was hoping to find a few boils as we planned to stay mobile and cover many miles and sleep where our adventures led us. We hiked just across from Rincón on the big rock slab, Hole in the Rock, Escalante river bottom, Rainbow bridge, and a few short hikes in the San Juan arm. Fish were steady on the sonar at 50-80’. We stopped several times and tried spoons, and anchovies with no luck. I have a couple down riggers and I was able to catch a few using them at about 60’, but it was still slow compared to normal. On Friday and Saturday morning we fished the rocky shoreline in San Juan and found smallies on every other cast. We fished for less than 2 hours each time and ended up with around 60 fish both times. There were some really nice bluegill and a couple nice largemouth. I never caught a walleye or a crappie this trip. My 18 year old daughter brought a friend that had never fished Powell and he’s addicted. We’ll have to go back when the fishing is good and see what he thinks.
I love that hike, there are dinosaur tracks near there too.

Drop shot Senkos. I threw some tube jigs, and swim tail plastics as well. Everything had the same amount of hits, but the Senkos had a higher hookup rate.

I saw you guys on the lake one day and wanted to do that hike in the rincon up the long slick rock slope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back