Memorial Day weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

powellobsessed

Hi all , I was just curious about the Memorial Day weekend and if it’s still as crazy as it was when I was a kid ? My niece has a exchange student from Spain that’s going home in June and really wanted to show her Powell before she goes home. They have waverunners and I’d have my boat and be the tour guide but since I haven’t been there at that time in decades we are aug-oct people I’d love your thoughts on water temp weather and water level. We would be out of bullfrog. TIA .

Last edited by a moderator:
Memorial week... last few years the lake was rising... and the water level will be low. Yes it can be crowded Depending on the days you are there... the boat ramp will be the issue at Bull Frog this year. Water temp is in the 60's usually... day temps in 70-95 so wide range. Bugs are less during this time compared to later in the year.

It is not nearly as crowded as it was when I used to come when I was younger - in the late 1980's and early 90's, at least on the south end. We used to go to the north end back then and the wait to launch and retrieve was measured in hours many times.

RE water temps, I tell people (backed up by 20 years of my recorded data) it will be 68 degrees on Memorial Day weekend. Not too cold, not too warm - outside air temp and wind/storms will make or break the weekend.

It sounds like you'll have a great trip!

Last edited:
Not so crowded now like it used to be. I remember in the 1980's sitting and watching the chaos of the Bullfrog ramp. I even offered to back some rigs down for folks when the one and only family member who could handle a trailer was on the lake driving the boat, I even received some tips $$$ from folks. for helping.

I think people now understand the weather better and forecasting is better and more available to the public, and May is still so hit & miss with the weather, so we wait for better weather. Or people were just tougher back then, I dono.

Erik

Not so crowded now like it used to be. I remember in the 1980's sitting and watching the chaos of the Bullfrog ramp. I even offered to back some rigs down for folks when the one and only family member who could handle a trailer was on the lake driving the boat, I even received some tips $$$ from folks. for helping.

I think people now understand the weather better and forecasting is better and more available to the public, and May is still so hit & miss with the weather, so we wait for better weather. Or people were just tougher back then, I dono.

Erik
I too remember those days.

On the south end, Wahweap has enough room for 4 to 6 simultaneous launches depending on spacing, with State-line nearby able to launch at least 3 or 4 comfortably, and Antelope Point will hopefully be open by then too... giving you another 5 or 6 boats in and out at the same time, plus the Antelope Point Executive launch ramp valet (they have a private ramp and launch your boat for you).

All together the ability to launch and retrieve as many as 20 boats at the same time is pretty cool. Up north you don't have as many choices so it may be a bit worse depending on time of day.

I know you asked about the north end, but I think overall the lake will definitely be busy if you're talking about the ramps and anywhere within 15-20 miles of the marina's.

The trick is to launch very very early, or wait until late morning (10-11am seems to always be pretty quick with no more than 15 minutes wait) and then head out somewhere a bit off the beaten path.

With wave runners you can carry a couple gas can's on your boat to refill and take them down the lake a ways, perhaps up Escalante. You'll find the closer you get to the middle of the lake the fewer and fewer people you'll come across, and the more beaches will be open.

The water will be chilly, but tolerable for the beefier folks in your crew, and the air temp will vary between mid 50's at night, and high 70's to mid 80's during the day.

The fishing or course, will be epic by that time, and hopefully the lake will have risen enough to submerge most of the whales people have been running aground on.

We were there Easter weekend (April 19-22) and the temperature each day was hot in the sun. No jacket required. The water was 58 to 64 degrees depending on where you are. The kids got in the water wearing light wetsuits and I got in a couple times without one, once involuntarily when the shale I was fishing from gave way... it was brisk but felt good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back