Maytag Straights warning (the channel between Wahweap and APM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegasus

I was in the APM valet office tonight scheduling my boat launch and a gentleman was in there trying to locate his 21' boat that had been towed into APM earlier today. He and his wife were in the middle of the Maytag Straights when his motor stuttered a little. He said he came down to idle with the stutter and a big wave, not a boat wake, just a wave (if you've been through the Maytag Straights you know what I mean) came over his bow and swamped his boat. He tried bailing and the bilge pump but that wasn't enough to save the boat. A passing boat picked him and his wife up, and he said NPS was there very quickly. The passing boat took him and his wife back to Wahweap and NPS arranged to tow the swamped boat to APM and have it hauled out (it was totally swamped but did not sink). Luckily no one was injured.

Castle Rock cut will be open soon, but likely not until after Memorial Day weekend. Until then please be extra careful navigating through the channel from Wahweap to APM. It's called Maytag Straights for a reason! Lots of rogue waves coming from various directions that sneak up on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back