May trip to Lake Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

pccbjc

First time posting. My wife and I are planning a trip in mid to late May 2019. I have been reading and watching YouTube about fishing stripers at Lake Powell with anchovies. My question is, can we buy frozen anchovies down there or should we plan on bringing them. Where is the source for them? Thanks for your help. Paul

Welcome to the forums! Frozen anchovies are available at the marina stores and sporting goods stores near the lake. I would like to suggest getting them when you arrive so you don't have to keep them frozen while traveling. The month of May is also peak fishing for several other species and catching 4-5 species in a day is common here. Also suggest getting some nightcrawlers at the same time to target other species if the stripers don't cooperate. What area of the lake are you planning to fish?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. We're coming from Oregon, so buying bait there is a great suggestion, now that I know it is available. We have been watching YouTube videos about fishing there and have noted some of the suggestions posted there. I'm thinking of launching at Antelope Point or Wahweap. I will bring gear to fish several species. We have a range of about 100 miles without buying extra fuel. My wife also likes hiking the back country, so we will be boat camping each night. Thanks again.

Attachments

• lot 007.jpg
    lot 007.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 51
It is legal to use striper meat for bait now as well. It has proven to be as effective, and stays on the hook much better. A few chovies to start would be prudent, but they are kind of spendy and a pain to keep and use.

It is legal to use striper meat for bait now as well. It has proven to be as effective, and stays on the hook much better. A few chovies to start would be prudent, but they are kind of spendy and a pain to keep and use.
Great tip. Thanks for the info. Tight lines.

There should be plenty of smallmouth bass up in shallow water in May. Stock up on 4-inch Yamamoto Senkos in the 901 (watermelon/white laminate). Stock up on Shad Shaped Worms (same color) as well for drop shot setups. You can order them off Yamamoto's website. It's best to order if you want color 901 because the local stores sell out both lures in that color about as soon as they hit the rack. Fish anywhere you find broken rock, boulders or gravel and you should have a ball with feisty smallies. You might decide you like them better than stripers. They're a lot better to eat, too! Don't overlook them. :)

Ed Gerdemann

There should be plenty of smallmouth bass up in shallow water in May. Stock up on 4-inch Yamamoto Senkos in the 901 (watermelon/white laminate). Stock up on Shad Shaped Worms (same color) as well for drop shot setups. You can order them off Yamamoto's website. It's best to order if you want color 901 because the local stores sell out both lures in that color about as soon as they hit the rack. Fish anywhere you find broken rock, boulders or gravel and you should have a ball with feisty smallies. You might decide you like them better than stripers. They're a lot better to eat, too! Don't overlook them. :)

Ed Gerdemann
Copy that, Ed. Thanks. We have fished Smallies up here on the Umpqua River in Oregon. You are right, they are "tasty". Will heed your suggestions on the various baits. Thanks.
Paul

Copy that, Ed. Thanks. We have fished Smallies up here on the Umpqua River in Oregon. You are right, they are "tasty". Will heed your suggestions on the various baits. Thanks.
Paul

Smallmouth fishing is usually great in May. My favorite times to fish them are May and again in September and October although they can be caught all summer long if you know how to fish deep water. The great thing about May is you usually don't have to fish deep water. I actually believe smallmouth fishing is more consistent that striper fishing, although I confess I'm prejudiced towards those brown bass. Last season was my best for smallmouth fishing on Powell in terms of both numbers and size. I hope 2019 will be even better. :)

Ed Gerdemann

Smallmouth fishing is usually great in May. My favorite times to fish them are May and again in September and October although they can be caught all summer long if you know how to fish deep water. The great thing about May is you usually don't have to fish deep water. I actually believe smallmouth fishing is more consistent that striper fishing, although I confess I'm prejudiced towards those brown bass. Last season was my best for smallmouth fishing on Powell in terms of both numbers and size. I hope 2019 will be even better. :)

Ed Gerdemann
Ed I agree with you, love those feisty brown bass! Sure wish I had your knowledge on catching them! I have had good runs where you couldn’t keep them off and then the dry spells were just the opposite. I admire your ability to have them figured out cause they are fun to catch and darn good eating. Thanks for what you share with us about catching them. Good luck with 2019 being the best yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back