May 7, 2018 - Caught the Grand Slam in One Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fursniper

I am a local and had some family visit me from out of town. So I took them on the lake for a day. They are a retired couple who are not avid fishermen. We launched from Wahweap at 6:30am and went to the back of Last Chance. We (3 old geezers in a bass boat) fished from 7:30am to 2:00pm and kept a total of 15 fish that consisted of 5 walleye, 4 smallmouth, 2 largemouth, 3 stripers, and 1 crappie. The Lake Powell Grand Slam is catching all of these 5 species. This was not our goal. We just realized we had achieved it. All of us were using 8 pound test flourcarbon fishing line with an 1/8 ounce jig and a 3 inch single tailed grub. They added a nightcrawler to their hook, I did not, and they caught all of the walleye. All of the fish were caught between 3 to 25 feet deep. It did not matter which color grub we used as we all caught fish at the same rate on chartruese, smoke w/silver flake, and pumpkin. Here are some pictures of our catch.

They said that this was the best fishing trip they ever had in their life. They took all the fish home to enjoy and were pretty stoked.

Here is a picture of the tackle we used.

print screen windows

Good luck and good fishing everyone!

Last edited:
that trip tripped their trigger, I'll bet. Wonderful
It definitely did! Prior to this experience, their idea of fishing was to bait fish and wait for something to bite. If they caught 1 or 2 fish all day long, that was a good day for them. They were totally blown away by the quality of fishing on Lake Powell. This was also the first time they tried fishing with artificial lures and they have never had a day where they caught this many fish before. The size of the fish and the number of species caught was also unique to them. It was very rewarding to help them have a great day.

Last edited:
Invite them back in August, when Stripers are boiling. Then you'll have them buying a boat, and visiting all the time :cool:
Hahhaha! They already have a boat that they don't use much. They will likely return with their boat before their Lake Powell fishing permit expires and if they caught a ton of 3 pound stripers, that would create a full time monster on my doorstep.....LOL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back