• Friends: Please double-check the email address you have on file. Make sure that it is current and able to receive email. When our emails are rejected it can damage our ratings and slow down future deliveries.
    Thanks!

May 22, 2018 - Padre Bay Early Morning Bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fursniper

Went to Padre Bay and fished solo for 4 hours (5:30am to 9:30am). Caught a total of 18 fish and kept 11 consisting of 4 stripers, 4 walleye, 1 largemouth, 1 smallmouth, and 1 bluegill. Threw back 1 catfish and 6 smallmouth. Thus, my catch rate was 4.5 fish per hour and I had caught 6 different species. I had planned to fish longer, but the wind came up making it a nuisance to continue fishing.

I started fishing the east wall of Padre Bay for stripers. The stripers were close to the wall and found from the surface to 15' deep. I could see their dorsal fin above the surface and my sonar was detecting lots of fish under the boat. I caught 1 striper on a surface lure, but they were not overly aggressive. I tried casting various plugs that would go down 15 feet, but no luck. What ended up working the best was a 3" single tail chartruese grub on an 1/8 ounce jig head tied to 8 pound test clear flourocarbon fishing line. Caught 2 more stripoers using that and then the stripers disappeared after about 1 hour.

At about 7am I went to Padre Point to see if there was any walleye that would cooperate. I continued using the 3" single tailed grub and added a nightcrawler to the hook. Landed 2 walleye on the first 2 casts then picked up a catfish that was about 1.5 pounds. All of the fish were shallow at about 15 feet deep. Also, picked up a bluegill at Padre Point incidental to fishing for walleye. The wind then began to increase which interfered with jigging the shoreline.

I then went back to the east wall of Padre Bay and got out of the wind in a cove that was directly east of Padre Point. I continued using the 3" grub and nightcrawler and landed a largemouth, another striper, and a smallmouth worth keeping to filet. By 9:30am, white caps were starting to form in Padre Bay and I decided to stop fishing and head back to the marina.

Here is a picture of what was kept.

20180522_105231.jpg

Good luck and good fishing everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.