March 25, 2019 - 35-pound striper from the San Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I follow your website for water and fishing info regularly and noticed you like to get updates when large stripers are caught. My wife and I ran up the Juan for a couple day bass fishing trip. Monday was good and got better as the day went on for bass and Tuesday (26th) got off to a slow start till about 11:15am then my wife said she hooked a fish along the shore fishing a chatter bait. She said the fish was really pulling and that it was strong, my first thought was maybe she had false hooked a carp or maybe got a decent smallie or largemouth. As the next few minutes of her fighting the fish took place I started to realize it might be a bigger fish so I started to take more interest in what was happening. Needless to say after fighting the fish for another 5-10 minutes I saw a flash and realized she had a good if not great striper and that is when I went into big fish mode and forgot everything else. After a few more minutes of slowly working the fish to the boat we decided the net wasn't going to work so we tired this big specimen out till I could get a good grab on the mouth and yanked it over the side of the boat. Everything from that point was a blur I just know that I measured the fish at 44.5 inches and threw it on the scale on my boat and it weighed 35.33 lbs. I have included a few pics and also should note that we were as gentle as possible and released the giant in hopes that someone else will get to catch that fish again someday. Not bad for a woman that has only fished lake powell a handful of times, might be a hard personal best to beat.

Ryan Litke is a lucky guy with a beautiful wife holding a beautiful striper. He took the wife home to Utah but the big fish is still swimming in the San Juan

Attachments

• IMG_6159.jpg
    IMG_6159.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_6156.JPG
    IMG_6156.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_6163.JPG
    IMG_6163.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
I follow your website for water and fishing info regularly and noticed you like to get updates when large stripers are caught. My wife and I ran up the Juan for a couple day bass fishing trip. Monday was good and got better as the day went on for bass and Tuesday (26th) got off to a slow start till about 11:15am then my wife said she hooked a fish along the shore fishing a chatter bait. She said the fish was really pulling and that it was strong, my first thought was maybe she had false hooked a carp or maybe got a decent smallie or largemouth. As the next few minutes of her fighting the fish took place I started to realize it might be a bigger fish so I started to take more interest in what was happening. Needless to say after fighting the fish for another 5-10 minutes I saw a flash and realized she had a good if not great striper and that is when I went into big fish mode and forgot everything else. After a few more minutes of slowly working the fish to the boat we decided the net wasn't going to work so we tired this big specimen out till I could get a good grab on the mouth and yanked it over the side of the boat. Everything from that point was a blur I just know that I measured the fish at 44.5 inches and threw it on the scale on my boat and it weighed 35.33 lbs. I have included a few pics and also should note that we were as gentle as possible and released the giant in hopes that someone else will get to catch that fish again someday. Not bad for a woman that has only fished lake powell a handful of times, might be a hard personal best to beat.

View attachment 4342

Ryan Litke is a lucky guy with a beautiful wife holding a beautiful striper. He took the wife home to Utah but the big fish is still swimming in the San Juan
Great catch ! What was the water temperature?

Last edited:
Congrats on a great catch, nice to see a lady catch such a great fish, the smile says it all. I am sure she won't hold it over you for the next 30 years either! LOL

Tremendous fish what a catch and fight! Do you mind sharing what tackle you were using to hall that monster in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back