Maps of Lake Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannon Martin

Where can I purchase a map of the lake with bouy markers? I am in Colorado now planning trip soon and would like to get a map before trip.

There are several available. I don't know which is the "best" printed map, but I use one from National Geographic titled "Glen Canyon National Recreation Area." I mostly keep that one on the boat as a hardcopy backup to my (sometimes failing) memory.
https://www.amazon.com/Glen-Canyon-National-Recreation-Area/dp/156695343X

If you want more detail (descriptions of what you'll find in each canyon, historical information, etc) I would recommend the Michael Kelsey book, "Boater's Guide to Lake Powell." https://www.amazon.com/Boaters-Guide-Powell-Michael-Kelsey/dp/0944510329

For basic planning, and quick reference, I like this PDF version from the National Parks Service -
https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/upload/mapglencanyonnra.pdf

Hope that helps!

-Bart

Suggest you consider getting the Navionics app for your phone/tablet/laptop. The cost is $50, but it does not require cellular access, shows where you are at on the lake, shows depth contours and submerged rocks are marked. There is a slider to adjust for lake level. To your specific question - it also shows bouy markers.
I spent a number of years on Lake Powell without this technology, but now wouldn't go out without it.

the stan jones map is good- cut the map into sections that fit into plastic sheets and carry it in a 3 ring binder. Going from one part of the lake to another is easy as turning a page. My original map is many years old and still looks pretty good. Also, they used to publish a really nice series of map pages in Lake Powell Magazine every year in one issue- very nice detail on these.
I just got the National Geographic as a backup (like Bart) because the 'paper' is pretty much indestructible and I thought it might show more hiking trails.
I have hiked up to Aleson Arch many times and did not know there was a second arch in the direction of Bullfrog - called Flying Eagle? I always go in the little cove across from 77 that Wayne types about in the Lake Powell Hikes tab and walk south and behind Aleson. I took a photo of the 2 arches shown on the National Geographic map and will try to paste here.
Sorry to hijack your map query, but did wonder if anyone knows there is actually a second arch up there ( we come from Wahweap) and how it might be accessed..............rickIMG_0026.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0026.JPG

Suggest you consider getting the Navionics app for your phone/tablet/laptop. The cost is $50, but it does not require cellular access, shows where you are at on the lake, shows depth contours and submerged rocks are marked. There is a slider to adjust for lake level. To your specific question - it also shows bouy markers.
I spent a number of years on Lake Powell without this technology, but now wouldn't go out without it.

I'll second the Navionics App; their charts for Western Lakes include a very good electronic chart of Lake Powell that is surprisingly accurate. I purchased this chart card for the chart plotter and echosounder on our houseboat.

I also have copies of the Fish-n-Map for the North and South lake on our houseboat as paper back-ups (links go to amazon listing for each chart). They are water resistant and have the buoy numbers on them; I like them since they're the closest thing I've found to a real nautical chart. Also have a framed copy of the Stan Jones map on the wall for quick reference.

Tamariver said "Wayne types about in the Lake Powell Hikes tab"

Could Tamariver, or someone else, direct me to this hikes tab?

Wayne sorry, I still use the original HOME PAGE (wayneswords.com) and on the left side are the links for fishing tips, hikes, and the water level - that is where I read your description about the Aleson Arch hike that we had also done. Great hike!! The National Geographic map shows 2 arches- Aleson and one called Flying Eagle which is toward Iceberg from your little cove that is best access to Aleson. Check out the photo I posted above showing the 2 arches. Maybe I didn't go far enough toward Iceberg to see if it was as accessible as Aleson. Oh, and Happy Birthday!! your fishing reports are my favorite reading every week...................rick

Wayne sorry, I still use the original HOME PAGE (wayneswords.com) and on the left side are the links for fishing tips, hikes, and the water level - that is where I read your description about the Aleson Arch hike that we had also done. Great hike!! The National Geographic map shows 2 arches- Aleson and one called Flying Eagle which is toward Iceberg from your little cove that is best access to Aleson. Check out the photo I posted above showing the 2 arches. Maybe I didn't go far enough toward Iceberg to see if it was as accessible as Aleson. Oh, and Happy Birthday!! your fishing reports are my favorite reading every week...................rick

Its a great hike but I have not been to Flying Eagle Here is the link:

http://wayneswords.com/index.php?op...le&id=84:aleson-hike&catid=54:hikes&Itemid=15

Thanks for posting the link to the hikes. This is a great collection of hikes. And I love the pics, narratives and directions.

Lake Powell Magazine? Defunct. As of a few years ago. After writing for that magazine for about 10 years, I wasn't even notified when the owner "retired." Yeah, it was a pretty good run. Writing about all those hikes took me to amazing places on the lake and in the back country that I might not have visited. Fortunately, I saved all my writing I did for that magazine. I may decide to publish it as a collection someday. Hmmm... Maybe in the next book?? ;)

The maps in that magazine were a series of pages. I took a photo of one page just to show. The front page says they reflect 3700' elevation and the little red marks (like in Oak Bay) are the beaches. The narrow canyon labeled Secret on many maps is actually Oak on this map . I don't know if the maps are still IMG_0028.JPG available anywhere, but they are nice to have in a 3-ring binder. The numbers on the left are my kids recording GPS miles to the various bouys starting from Stateline Ramp.................rick

Lake Powell Magazine? Defunct. As of a few years ago. After writing for that magazine for about 10 years, I wasn't even notified when the owner "retired." Yeah, it was a pretty good run. Writing about all those hikes took me to amazing places on the lake and in the back country that I might not have visited. Fortunately, I saved all my writing I did for that magazine. I may decide to publish it as a collection someday. Hmmm... Maybe in the next book?? ;)

You had some great articles in there Tiff!

The only way I found out about the magazine disappearing was after calling Dave to get more copies of the 2009 issue. I wrote the article about Cropduster as a show piece thing. Dave took the photos.
Was surprised he was quitting...but got a few more copies.
Am leaving one on the houseboat for any potential buyers to look at.

Yes...unfortunately she's still for sale.

weeds

The following link http://lakepowellgpsmaps.com/index.html is another source of digital maps available for iPhones, iPads, Android phones and pads, older Garmin gps units, Lowrance gps units, and windows computers. These maps were created from the original topo's made of the Lake Powell area before the dam was built. Some errors have been found, but for the most part appear to be very accurate. They do not include buoy markers as their locations change with the lake level.

You had some great articles in there Tiff!

The only way I found out about the magazine disappearing was after calling Dave to get more copies of the 2009 issue. I wrote the article about Cropduster as a show piece thing. Dave took the photos.
Was surprised he was quitting...but got a few more copies.
Am leaving one on the houseboat for any potential buyers to look at.

Yes...unfortunately she's still for sale.

weeds

Thanks, Weeds! I saved all my issues, so I'll have to get them out of storage and re-read your article. Sorry to hear that your beautiful boat is for sale.

Tiff

Thanks Tiff.
Me too.

Inside that issue (Summer 2009) was the article you wrote about "Knowles Canyon" (page 7)... "Castle Rock Cut" (Page 14)...and the "Lightning Bugs" short on 22. Cropduster was on 18.
You were a busy girl.

weeds

The maps in that magazine were a series of pages. I took a photo of one page just to show. The front page says they reflect 3700' elevation and the little red marks (like in Oak Bay) are the beaches. The narrow canyon labeled Secret on many maps is actually Oak on this map . I don't know if the maps are still View attachment 361 available anywhere, but they are nice to have in a 3-ring binder. The numbers on the left are my kids recording GPS miles to the various bouys starting from Stateline Ramp.................rick

Still my favorite map [Lake Powell Magazine] have in plastic sheets in a binder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back