Manners - Reserving your parking spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottF

Several times this year we've had neighbors display what I consider poor manners in reserving a parking place on the beach. This past week we parked in the little cove just west of Labyrinth and on our first day a sport boat deposited a pile of camp chairs, etc. on the other usable beach. I assumed a houseboat was on its way, but none showed up by the end of our three day trip. In September we pulled up to a long beach on the west finger of Padre Bay, with just a single houseboat on the far end of this beach. A woman ran over to tell us that five cruisers were coming to their beach. So we parked around the corner, but no cruisers ever showed up. On that same trip we observed one of the really big houseboats in a great spot, possibly professionally anchored, with no one aboard for four days. I'm beginning to feel like the nerd who can't find a seat in the junior high cafeteria or a seat on the bus.

Scott, I feel your pain and agree that beach manners relating to saving space seem to have gotten worse over the past few years. (as have general boater courtesy, wake issues, etc.) I don't think it's a coincidence that this is occurring when visitor days at Lake Powell are also at their highest levels in years.

I'm amazed that there aren't more ugly confrontations when boaters are 'saving' excessive beach space during the busy summer months. For the most part, boaters handle it just as you did - just move on to another beach. Unfortunately, there really isn't much one can do in these situations. I wish I had a solution to propose but I don't, so I'll just commiserate with you.:mad:

Curious: RE the large houseboat that was unoccupied for four days, did they leave the generator running the entire time? I highly doubt their inverter system could keep the refers, freezers and ice makers going for 4 days without charge. Did you happen to notice?

Pegasus, I appreciate your commiseration! I didn't get close enough to notice if the generator was running on the big houseboat.

Over the past 5 years...between Memorial Day and Labor Day...this practice has increasingly made finding decent beaches nearly impossible from Oak Bay South to Lone Rock.

Sadly any given summer day it’s easy to come across many ‘camps’ that are nothing more that spot holders...anything from obviously unused tents & chairs (no footprints) all the way up to luxury houseboats with all the toys on the beach fully locked and covered.

Not much to do but commiserate during summer months and try to enjoy the off-seasons in late spring/early fall.

I hate to leave stuff at a spot to save it. I left stuff up Mt Sheep Canyon and came back with boat 2 hours later and it was gone! No one around, but when we left to pick up friends there was a speed boat around the corner with teens driving and playing around. My guess is they took my stuff.

It seems that the last couple of years the boater respect has gone down hill. Last year I had some things stolen out of the back of my truck. This was the first time is 35 years of coming that anyone ever touched my things. I generally camp in areas that most don't especially during peak weeks. This past week however I camped in Iceberg for a couple of days. When I came into the canyon, I was the only boat in the canyon. With every site open, I had a houseboat camp 20 yards away from my cruiser. That's the closest I have ever had anyone camp by me. Then they were upset that I ran my generator until 8pm. I always try to be respectful but it seems that most everyone now only think about themselves.

It seems that the last couple of years the boater respect has gone down hill. Last year I had some things stolen out of the back of my truck. This was the first time is 35 years of coming that anyone ever touched my things. I generally camp in areas that most don't especially during peak weeks. This past week however I camped in Iceberg for a couple of days. When I came into the canyon, I was the only boat in the canyon. With every site open, I had a houseboat camp 20 yards away from my cruiser. That's the closest I have ever had anyone camp by me. Then they were upset that I ran my generator until 8pm. I always try to be respectful but it seems that most everyone now only think about themselves.
I think that is fine on the generator but they were the ones that moved in on you. We also park in some odd spots to get away from having a boater next door. If one does park close I politely walk over and say, just a forewarning we camp like this because our little dog barks and I know it can be annoying. They usually stay anyway but they don’t complain.

Came in late trying to find a safe beach in the near dark..I know, I know, what was I thinking, but got a late start out of SJ and was determined to make Dungeon. Anyway, We had to find sand. I nice older guy motioned to one of our scout boats to share his beach.. I hesitated but it was getting darker by the minute. We pulled in and thanked him, apologized and started taking care of business. We had a fire going and later our neighbor brought over an armload of firewood. His kindness represented the majority of LP houseboaters. I,ve experienced my share of %*@#holes and maybe have even been one in my earlier years but most folks are just trying to have a good time. Did have a houseboat full of kids partying till 2am on the other side of a cove a couple years ago. We were on the water at 5:30 to fish and I couldn't resist going over to their houseboat and blowing our horn repeatedly...I guess I still am a %*@#^$% but I heard it's not good to hold it in.

Came in late trying to find a safe beach in the near dark..I know, I know, what was I thinking, but got a late start out of SJ and was determined to make Dungeon. Anyway, We had to find sand. I nice older guy motioned to one of our scout boats to share his beach.. I hesitated but it was getting darker by the minute. We pulled in and thanked him, apologized and started taking care of business. We had a fire going and later our neighbor brought over an armload of firewood. His kindness represented the majority of LP houseboaters. I,ve experienced my share of %*@#holes and maybe have even been one in my earlier years but most folks are just trying to have a good time. Did have a houseboat full of kids partying till 2am on the other side of a cove a couple years ago. We were on the water at 5:30 to fish and I couldn't resist going over to their houseboat and blowing our horn repeatedly...I guess I still am a %*@#^$% but I heard it's not good to hold it in.
You and I would get along nicely! Lol 😂

I encountered a JERK that put out chairs and coolers covering about 50 yards of Stanton Creek North shore prime boat parking/camping. I talked to him and he said he was waiting for a houseboat to come in. There were multiple vehicles parked near by of people that were on the houseboat. After 4 days the houseboat, "CLASSIC VOYAGER" finally showed up for 1 night of loud partying and left. This was September 27, 2017. Many others stopped wanting to use that area. I would get banned from this site if I really said exactly how I thought about his actions. Sq

I encountered a JERK that put out chairs and coolers covering about 50 yards of Stanton Creek North shore prime boat parking/camping. I talked to him and he said he was waiting for a houseboat to come in. There were multiple vehicles parked near by of people that were on the houseboat. After 4 days the houseboat, "CLASSIC VOYAGER" finally showed up for 1 night of loud partying and left. This was September 27, 2017. Many others stopped wanting to use that area. I would get banned from this site if I really said exactly how I thought about his actions. Sq
It is absolutely bs to do a phony when it comes to securing a beach in which there is no intent to occupy. When a party realizes that their group will not show up for the saved beach they need to give it up. This is where an altercation is very possible and the jerks that think that is cool can kiss me in a place that they wouldn't like and I don't mean on the lips.

..and if you think the LP is bad for reserved/abandoned sites try your national forests in northern AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back