Mandatory inspections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read you are required to get a inspection before leaving lake Powell. I wonder how you can do that when there isn’t a person at the halls ramp. Middle of the day and no one checking people in or out this year? Last year I asked for a decontamination and they threw a fit and said it wasn’t necessary. They did it anyway after several times of asking them. I get back to Colorado launch two weeks later and they don’t honor any other states decon. I had a Utah state cable seal. They proceed to do a full decon again. What are we to do if no one is there? Why do anything if you have to do it a second time? If it’s law the must give us a way to abide by the law right?

I believe the new policy is that transporting attached mussels, mussel shells, or more than 1/2 cup of questionable(potentially contaminated) water out of the Recreation area is illegal. The mandatory(?) inspections are meant to help educate, and reduce the risks of transport. I have launched/retrieved twice this year at Halls and have been inspected both times at the top of the ramp by the same young man(trips were about a month apart). Clean, drain, and dry is the rule. I too launch in Colorado(when not at Powell), and get decon'd the first trip after Powell and then get sealed for Colorado waters. I definitely wouldn't request a decon in Utah since Colorado doesn't honor them.

If there is not a technician on the ramp, then it is your responsibility to Clean, Drain and Dry your boat. Look closely for mussels in shaded areas and hard to reach places. You cannot legally transport mussels anywhere. If you find a mussel remove it, along with any mud, weeds or debris. If your boat is clean and the plug is out and properly drained then you are legally able to take your boat back to Colorado and get a decon before you launch in another water.

Ultimately, It is each boaters responsibility to observe these rules and make sure mussels do not live in YOUR boat.

Thanks for the replies. I hope we can stop these from entering other waters. Ultimately I feel it is a lost cause. Here in Colorado I watch each certified decon person do their job. Everyone does it differently and most do it wrong. I even was asked to decon my own boat as they were to busy at the location I was at for her to do it. I know I’m not certified. Relying on people always proves to be a let down. Anyway thanks for the answer to my questions.

What happens when it rains in your boat on the way home and they find more than a cup of water in said boat? FYI I can find a gallon of water in the spring after winterization, boat stored in doors drain plug out. Just to many places for water to hide in “some” boats. BTW my boat is only launched in Lake Powell water (don’t blame me for spreading mussels) just stating the facts of “some” boats.

When we left bullfrog on Sunday we went through the inspection, the techs were very friendly and informative. Ours said we could decon there as they were the best, but we would have to wait for over an hour because we had ballast boats in front of us. He told me several places near home to get it done and how to contact them. There were officers at the pay gate checking to see if you were inspected before leaving. I felt they did a great job with us with help and information. Glad to see the effort. Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back