Lure/Technique advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTO

I've been making yearly trips to Powell since I was 12 (now 34), but my focus has definitely been more on water sports than fishing. Most of my fishing has consisted of catching carp and catfish off the back of the houseboat. I've been striper fishing a few times over the years, but have never gotten into a boil or slurp. I'm heading down for a week beginning this coming Sunday (June 23) and am looking to get serious about my fishing this year.

I've got a 7-foot, medium spinning rod and am looking for some recommendations of some key lures I need (pictures are helpful!) and advice on where and how to use them. Specifically, I'd like to fish for stripers and try my hand at largemouth as well. I've never actually caught a largemouth bass, but here it's a lot of fun. We will likely be camped in Warm Creek Bay, so if there's any spots you'd recommend in that area I'd be interested as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

For largemouth start early and look for structure from surface down to 20 feet. Tumbleweeds would be a good bet with the lake up almost 30' there should be alot of tumbleweed plants submerged. Largemouth love to hide in brush and ambush. A topwater lure in the early morning can be deadly and also extremely interactive. I have had fish that strike topwater actually startle me, they hit so hard. Cast your topwater lure almost to the shore and twitch the lure hard enough that you here it gurgle then let it sit for 5 seconds or more then twitch again until it gets into deep water(30') then cast again to an area that has underwater cover. Good luck. The back of warmcreek bay is a great place for fishing. My all time record for stripers was in WC. 2 fishermen, 110 fish in 2 hours, what a hoot.

For largemouth start early and look for structure from surface down to 20 feet. Tumbleweeds would be a good bet with the lake up almost 30' there should be alot of tumbleweed plants submerged. Largemouth love to hide in brush and ambush. A topwater lure in the early morning can be deadly and also extremely interactive. I have had fish that strike topwater actually startle me, they hit so hard. Cast your topwater lure almost to the shore and twitch the lure hard enough that you here it gurgle then let it sit for 5 seconds or more then twitch again until it gets into deep water(30') then cast again to an area that has underwater cover. Good luck. The back of warmcreek bay is a great place for fishing. My all time record for stripers was in WC. 2 fishermen, 110 fish in 2 hours, what a hoot.
Thanks for the feedback! 110 fish, that sounds like a fantastic time! Any specific topwater lure recommendations?

Another option for you. Last trip I caught all three LP bass (large, small, striper) on this PowerBait soft bait. Bought it on a whim at Walmart.

Thanks for the feedback! 110 fish, that sounds like a fantastic time! Any specific topwater lure recommendations?
3 to 5" long, white belly, red mouth and green, brown, or blue/silver sides. You don't need designer lures. If they are mad or hungry, they will hit it. Just to clarify, the 110 fish were stripers, all caught on anchovies.

Largemouth Bass are not nearly as common as Smallmouth bass in Lake Powell. In some areas you may catch 20 Smallmouth bass for every largemouth bass you catch.
rs.php

Whopper plopper would be an easier topwater lure to learn to fish than some of the other topwater lures. Stick with the 90 size. Any color would work but I would stick to lighter colors or translucent colors. Last week at Lake Powell I fished topwater lures most of the time just because I like fishing topwater lures so much. I caught probably close to 100 fish(smallmouth, largemouth and strippers) on a whopper popper but also caught just as many or more on other topwater baits. Learning to "walk the dog" or other topwater techniques can be more difficult to master than a whopper plopper. The whopper popper is a little expensive but they hold up. I've probably caught about 200 fish on a single whopper popper and all I've done is replace the hooks.
rs.php

Yamamoto single tail, double tail or Hula grub will all catch fish. The 4" single tail grub would be my recommendation for numbers of bass. Green and brown colors that match crawfish generally work best but I've also used white grubs and have done well.
ned_rig_01.jpg

The ned rig would be another effective lure to fish for bass with. Stick to green or brown colors to mimic crawfish such as "California craw" or you could also use white ones.
The striper slurps may be a little more aggressive by next week but slurps could be frustrating to attempt to fish if you don't have a lot of fishing experience. Using anchovies for bait can be a very effective way to catch stripers at Lake Powell and they also work well for catfish off the back of the houseboat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back