Lure info

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnpull

Okay, so tell me how you all sort and keep track of your hard baits, namely jerk baits and cranks. What I mean is almost no manufacturer puts identifying info on the bait itself such as depth, suspending, floating or sinking. This makes it a challenge for me to know exactly what a certain bait does and if I want to use it. And I find my self constantly using the same baits that I am most familiar with and many others sitting in the tackle box. I also share the boat with my kids, so organization can sometimes get a bit nuts. How do you all keep track?

I have 5 plastic boxes that fit into my tackle box. On each plastic container I write the name (Lucky Craft trolling) (deep diving lures) (Mid range trolling ) (rattletraps ) (spoons) etc. Then I have to remember when I change lures quickly to put it back into its correct spot. About once a month I go through the boxes and sort out the lures that are in the wrong spot.

I do what Wayne does. I label the plastic containers with size or depth of hard baits. When I have time I reorganize ( like now).
I have topwater baits in a separate container. I have two bags that the containers are in vertically. The labels are on the edge facing up so i can identify the one I need.
I have a similar system for Flaming Gorge. I have a box for kokanee baits and another for lakers.
I do the same with jigs and plastics

I do what Wayne does. I label the plastic containers with size or depth of hard baits. When I have time I reorganize ( like now).
I have topwater baits in a separate container. I have two bags that the containers are in vertically. The labels are on the edge facing up so i can identify the one I need.
I have a similar system for Flaming Gorge. I have a box for kokanee baits and another for lakers.
I do the same with jigs and plastics
I also do the labeling thing but when I have a boat full like last weekend things get mixed up, and like birdsnest says I then have a mixture of everything! The only way I can keep them straight is to label a box for jerk baits and a separate box for cranks and so on then I can tell people what box to go to and I can keep fishing.

I do the plastic box label thing also but on my diving trolling lures I use a black magic marker and print the diving depth of the lure. I put it on the bill and on the belly close to where the bill mounts to the lure. Give me quick reference for choosing the right lure quickly.
Chuck
I always wonder why the manufacturer doesn't just print the info on the belly of each lure!

When I work{not very often) my tools are scattered all over the place. I call it the visible system. Same with my lures (when not in a pile). I'd have to say I have made a few people nuts also Ed

Last edited:
We do keep things simple (only one jerkbait box) but I do love keeping things as organized as possible.
We have one long compartment on the side I keep all our hard baits and those are in about 12 tackle boxes which are color coordinated.
0D4E6CAA-1F33-4130-BD41-BABB56890184.jpeg
Then I converted the big rear live well into our second compartment. This one has two boxes, one with jig heads in it and one with hooks and weights. Then I’ve separated all the soft plastics into coordinated zip locks.
24DC0946-1EEB-4272-992B-CC1D710DE268.jpeg
Then during trips we usually just throw extra baits or the ones we’re switching into a tray we have. Then after each trip I’ll put those away back into their correct box.
E18798CA-5892-4D47-B92D-8A34C78B3CDF.jpeg

With our trips and up to five people fishing you have to keep it simple but really organized. Makes managing something like that feasible.
Preston

We do keep things simple (only one jerkbait box) but I do love keeping things as organized as possible.
We have one long compartment on the side I keep all our hard baits and those are in about 12 tackle boxes which are color coordinated.
View attachment 7246
Then I converted the big rear live well into our second compartment. This one has two boxes, one with jig heads in it and one with hooks and weights. Then I’ve separated all the soft plastics into coordinated zip locks.
View attachment 7247
Then during trips we usually just throw extra baits or the ones we’re switching into a tray we have. Then after each trip I’ll put those away back into their correct box.
View attachment 7248

With our trips and up to five people fishing you have to keep it simple but really organized. Makes managing something like that feasible.
Preston
You are way more organized than you made it sound. Those are some good ideas that I hope to copy a little. Good luck on your weekend trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back