Lure Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue5408

I will be coming up to fish Powell for the very first time. My Dad used to come every year before he passed. Thought I would give it a try. Has anyone ever used this type of lure for stripers? If so, good and bad? I don't want to spend a f5349ortune on frozen anchovies.

You may not get the same action as frozen anchovies, but it looks like it would work. Several years ago on the west coast you were laughed at if you were using a cedar plug. Now everyone uses them.

Good luck and lets us know. I am always looking to add to my arsenal.

That's a soft plastic swimbait, yes they work, especially for largemouth and smallmouth, but there might be better choices for this time of year for stripers.

That's a soft plastic swimbait, yes they work, especially for largemouth and smallmouth, but there might be better choices for this time of year for stripers.
What would you suggest for a first timer? Also, I could use help knowing weight of line, type of line. I have a few different poles and reels I will be taking along with me.

What would you suggest for a first timer? Also, I could use help knowing weight of line, type of line. I have a few different poles and reels I will be taking along with me.

8 pound Power Pro Super slick fluorocarbon line works great. I add braided line to a fluorocarbon leader (P-line) to give more strength and less line diameter. I tie them together with a uni knot other use albright.

For surface boil fishing you can tie a topwater lure directly to the braided line.

Here are some striper lures: https://wayneswords.net/threads/striper-lures.299/

Here is a recent thread on lures. https://wayneswords.net/threads/lure-technique-advice.2991/

Study these and then ask more questions.

Reactions: TR.
I will be coming up to fish Powell for the very first time. My Dad used to come every year before he passed. Thought I would give it a try. Has anyone ever used this type of lure for stripers? If so, good and bad? I don't want to spend a fView attachment 5349ortune on frozen anchovies.

Get up at dawn and fish until 9 AM looking for slurping stripers. They will likely hit your lures pictured here. Also have small topwater lures, rattletraps, and Kastmaster spoons ready to cast.

Stripers have seen newly hatched shad. Bait fishing is winding down and topwater striper fishing is getting much better. Stripers eat shad so they will pursue them relentlessly. After the slurps get over boils start which provides more aggressive fish. Find a school of early morning slurpers. If they run out of shad then use trolling to locate them in deeper water while they look for another shad school. As a last resort drop bait on a resting striper school to catch more fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back