Lowrance Water level adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorado

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
So it seems you cannot adjust the water level on Lowrance fish finders.... But I found a way to setup your chart to display any potentially shallow areas so that when under way, I stayed well clear of any whales or surprise shallow areas. I have the Navionics chip in my Elite 7 Ti. I followed these instructions:
  1. Chart Page:
  2. Menu
  3. Chart Options
  4. View
  5. Depth Highlight
  6. Set your lake drop amount in the MAX box
  7. Set the MIN box to “0”
I played around with the lake drop while at the boat dock. This showed any water shallower then 10 feet as white on the chart, once I set it to the correct number in the MAX box.

Now you just have to remember to follow the chart and not start cutting corners out of habit!!!

So it seems you cannot adjust the water level on Lowrance fish finders.... But I found a way to setup your chart to display any potentially shallow areas so that when under way, I stayed well clear of any whales or surprise shallow areas. I have the Navionics chip in my Elite 7 Ti. I followed these instructions:
  1. Chart Page:
  2. Menu
  3. Chart Options
  4. View
  5. Depth Highlight
  6. Set your lake drop amount in the MAX box
  7. Set the MIN box to “0”
I played around with the lake drop while at the boat dock. This showed any water shallower then 10 feet as white on the chart, once I set it to the correct number in the MAX box.

Now you just have to remember to follow the chart and not start cutting corners out of habit!!!
Hey Dorado, great report the other day. Heading down next week, it was great to hear you got into some walleye. The water offset not being available is due to the Navionics mapping card, not your Lowrance. All the offset and shading options offered on LM are available on Navionics apps for phone and tablet, but not on their mapping chips. I called them about this and they told me HB has copyrights to the mapping software, but they were able to provide the functionality on the apps. I run them both side by side and use the same work around you described on the Lowrance. One other helpful setting you may already know on the Navionics card, under chart options, select 'highlight seabed', it will shade the river channel a light red, keep you from cutting those corners!

I hope I am wrong.....but I am not aware of any way to change any chart used on Lowrance to reflect the actual water depth, whether it is the built in layer or the Navionics card. I don't really have a big issue with this, since you can highlight any possible shallow water danger......but it would be nice to simply be able to subtract the lake level drop and have it show up as the actual depth on the chart, which the HB units do easily. I have have had both HB and Lowrance, both are good. But Lowrance dropped the ball by not allowing this simple feature, especially at Lake Powell.

I have the Navioics app on my phone, but I never even looked at it when at the lake....I was fine having the shallow water highlighted. Good tip about the highlight seabed! Now I just have to actually look at the Chart!

Hey Dorado, great report the other day. Heading down next week, it was great to hear you got into some walleye. The water offset not being available is due to the Navionics mapping card, not your Lowrance. All the offset and shading options offered on LM are available on Navionics apps for phone and tablet, but not on their mapping chips. I called them about this and they told me HB has copyrights to the mapping software, but they were able to provide the functionality on the apps. I run them both side by side and use the same work around you described on the Lowrance. One other helpful setting you may already know on the Navionics card, under chart options, select 'highlight seabed', it will shade the river channel a light red, keep you from cutting those corners!

Hey Coho,

I haven't yet purchased the app for my tablet but I have been considering it. Are you able to download the maps ahead of time or does it need service as you go? I mostly just want a bigger screen for my maps which is why I have been considering trying my tablet but haven't actually bit the bullet yet. I would imagine a setup like you have with the tablet next to my Lowrance unit.

thanks

Once you have downloaded the layers, you do not need to have cell service with the app....

Thanks. I have a few days before our trip I may try to grab the app then.
Be sure you have a charger onboard. I use mine ice fishing and you'll get an hour of run time at best on a full battery. The GPS is a hog. I keep mine plugged into the USB port on my jump pack while on the ice. There is a guy on here named Chris McBeth that uses his a lot, he has a pretty sweet mount for his tablet, Im not sure the brand but it looks like it would hold up well to a rough ride. Good Luck!

Be sure you have a charger onboard. I use mine ice fishing and you'll get an hour of run time at best on a full battery. The GPS is a hog. I keep mine plugged into the USB port on my jump pack while on the ice. There is a guy on here named Chris McBeth that uses his a lot, he has a pretty sweet mount for his tablet, Im not sure the brand but it looks like it would hold up well to a rough ride. Good Luck!

Yeah, I have USB ports on my dash just for situations like this. I also have a RAM mount to hold my tablet. I originally got it for my motorcycle and its fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back