lost nets in Striper City

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobco

Was down a couple of weeks ago on solo trip with the Black Lab. My net man forgot the net on the rear deck when moving spots, not only one time two times and both nets were lost. Long shot that someone will hook into them trolling. should be in front of Farleys/white striper city area. One rubber net with extendable aluminum handle, other is stowmaster gold aluminum collapsible net. Need new net man! thanks for help

Bummer, I have a pole and reel right there too.
Must be haunted!
Did you catch any fish, or is it still real spotty?
I'd like to make a few more trips this year, but was hoping that the strippers would be schooling up in the canyons by now.

Did I say wind? It was tough fishing in winds, forecast lied big time. Was supposed to be 5 15 mph, was 20 30 mph, I left after second day of 4 days planned. Wind stinks!

Bobco, I was there, in a tiller Lund, Think I seen you. There wasnt a lot of people there. It was windy, the whole trip, except at night, and we caught a lot of 2 lb Crappie, under the green light. And a lot of nice Bluegill's.
Good luck, getting your net's back, I fixin to go back, for a couple of night's, hope the wind, has blown itself out.
Have a good one.
KyKevin

I think your "net man" needs to be relegated to pheasant hunting. Why don't you come with me to Kansas in December???

Ryan I have a walleye addiction and now KYKEVIN talking 2 lb crappies!!! need to look at calander though pheasants sound good as well!

Bobco, these were weighed 15'' Crappie's, and that's why, I have to go back. When were you there Bob, we went down on the 3rd, and then on the 6th or 7th, and again last wensday. If you go, I'll see you there.

I was down 2 and 3rd, wind never stopped day or night, got up morning 4th white caps and went home! been dreaming of 15" crappie !

Bobco, I was there, in a tiller Lund, Think I seen you. There wasnt a lot of people there. It was windy, the whole trip, except at night, and we caught a lot of 2 lb Crappie, under the green light. And a lot of nice Bluegill's.
Good luck, getting your net's back, I fixin to go back, for a couple of night's, hope the wind, has blown itself out.
Have a good one.
KyKevin
Could you give a little more detail of where you were, how, and what you used to catch the Crappie and Bluegill using the green light. I have fished off the Bullfrog docks using a green light, but all we caught was stripers. I was at SandHollow a couple of years ago and two boats were going out just at dark. Said they were going crappie fishing, and I assume they were using green lights. Did not get to talk with them long about where they were fishing or how, but I would assume what works at one location may work at another. I fished at Starvation a couple of years ago at night with green light for walleye, but we caught rainbow trout rather than the walleye we were looking for.
Thanks for any detail you can give me to try next time.

We caught the Bluegill, in the day time, using 1/16 th oz chartreuse, and glow ice jig's, tipped with worm. We used whole Shad on white 1/16 and 1/8 th oz fish head jig's, in 70 to 80 ft of water, according to how the wind was, and how the boat was swinging. Your boat will swing a pretty good distance, when you are anchoring that deep, I use an anchor on each end. My brother Jeff, came out from Kentucky, and my son, and son in law, Chad and Bryan, were there for all of the windy day's. We had a great time, but sometime you have to take what Powell give's you, like fishing at night. It's for sure, a lot different fishing, then day time. But that full moon we had, made it a whole lot easier to see, then the dark side of the moon, me and my friend Wayne, fished Wednesday. Easy to get turned around, if your anchor's come loose, and it's that dark. We were on the North end, and I beleive the Crappie's suspend in the deep water, when there are a lot of Shad. I'm still dreaming about a 3 to 4 lb Crappie, which is in Powell for sure, but like the huge Striper's, they are not easy to find and catch.

I use a throw net, to get my Shad, and you can use whole, or piece's to catch the Crappie, cat fish, striper's, and Walleye's on them. Pick a canyon, and give it try, the green light's work.
Hope this help's, have a good one.
KyKevin

Was just looking at a stowmaster the other day at cabelas. Fishing for one does sound better than dropping $100 ha.

We finally broke down and bought a stowable that will fit below our boat deck. The Frabill version, not as nice or as expensive, but still an investment. we were so paranoid about dropping it over that we tied a float (picture below) into the net! lol
So far does not seem to alarm the fish ... and frees us to be paranoid about the next thing on our longgg list! :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 62
great idea, you can bet my new one will have floatation! I think frabil somehow got stowaways design exact same net from what I can see.

We caught the Bluegill, in the day time, using 1/16 th oz chartreuse, and glow ice jig's, tipped with worm. We used whole Shad on white 1/16 and 1/8 th oz fish head jig's, in 70 to 80 ft of water, according to how the wind was, and how the boat was swinging. Your boat will swing a pretty good distance, when you are anchoring that deep, I use an anchor on each end. My brother Jeff, came out from Kentucky, and my son, and son in law, Chad and Bryan, were there for all of the windy day's. We had a great time, but sometime you have to take what Powell give's you, like fishing at night. It's for sure, a lot different fishing, then day time. But that full moon we had, made it a whole lot easier to see, then the dark side of the moon, me and my friend Wayne, fished Wednesday. Easy to get turned around, if your anchor's come loose, and it's that dark. We were on the North end, and I beleive the Crappie's suspend in the deep water, when there are a lot of Shad. I'm still dreaming about a 3 to 4 lb Crappie, which is in Powell for sure, but like the huge Striper's, they are not easy to find and catch.

I use a throw net, to get my Shad, and you can use whole, or piece's to catch the Crappie, cat fish, striper's, and Walleye's on them. Pick a canyon, and give it try, the green light's work.
Hope this help's, have a good one.
KyKevin
Thanks for the information. I want to get down there and give it a try. I assume your info on north wash was using your throw net to catch shad.

Is the canyon you night fished in a secret? If not I would like to know where you were night fishing. Did you come back to Hite in the dark?

Try White canyon, Trachyte, 2 mile and 4 mile. They are close together and you will find fish in one or more of them.
Try White canyon, Trachyte, 2 mile and 4 mile. They are close together and you will find fish in one or more of them.
OK, but I was wondering which one KyKevin night fished in with green light to catch the crappie. Not easy to change locations and especially canyons in the dark. If I understand correctly, they stayed at Hite and watched the wind blow all day and then went out and fished with green lights at night. I would not think they went very far in the dark, but said they fished or anchored in 70 to 80 feet of water. Must have went some distance to find that deep of water.

Maybe it is a secret as to which canyon they night fished in, and I respect that if it is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back