Looking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richyy31

My buddies and I are thinking of trying Powell for the first time on March 5th. I’ve been told it’s too cold and don’t waste my time. Is this true, or is it worth a try?
I’ve read a ton on this site and I see all the advice and it honestly confuses me. I’m not sure what certain areas are called on the lake or best bait or lure to try. Any tips for a complete rookie on the lake. Thanks

Try to keep everything as simple as possible, Powell can be intimidating in many ways for rookies and veterans. You could literally drive a 100 miles to catch fish, or 1 mile. You could bring some jig heads and a curly tail grub, or you could bring a lifetimes worth of tackle and accomplish the same things either way.

Decide what part of the lake you want to go, decide what you want to target, then decide how to find them, and then catch them. Sublet your decisions into smaller, simpler ones. Starting on this site is the best first step.

In my opinion it's all about water temperature. It was 46 degrees last Thursday. I think that LMB and SMB will be tougher to catch for a bit. Even though they are showing signs of moving up in afternoon on the sunny rocky shores. I am also fishing on the 5th of March. I will be targeting stripers in the backs of bays and canyons as I think they will still be in the colored water for a bit longer. With a warming trend coming our way it can change fast so pay attention to the water temp. When it's approaches 60 degrees, hold on!

ned rigs , swimbaits 3-4” shad colors , jerk baits and spoons are all must haves . Watch your graph... finding them is everything! Its a big lake...good luck.i will most likely be in bullfrog and stanton 6 th and 7 th . Gold tracker targa

I am here right now and got a sunburn in tee shirts yesterday. Water hit 49. It’s not too cold at all. Stripers are hitting ok not like they were in January. Hit a 16” crappie on 4” walleye assassin which is a nice surprise. Go fishing!!!

Definitely not a waste of time man.. go enjoy the lake when it’s not crowded. Great time of year to catch a big one as well. Be careful , do a lot of idling , the lake is pretty dangerous right now out of the main channel. Lake Powell wrecks boats at higher water levels , and it’s extremely low and getting lower by the day. So proceed with caution wherever you go. Fish slow and methodically , and like Dungee said, Focus on small area to concentrate your efforts, running and gunning at lake Powell without knowing the lake will drive a person crazy . There is plenty of great fishing in bullfrog and halls. Hope you catch good luck

Decide what fish you want to concentrate on --- Early March is generally a pretty tough time to catch fish --
read what others have said in the week leading up to your trip-- pick the best set ups for the fish you want to target.
Right now -- stripers -- back of canyons -- spoons, bait or trolling deep divers.
Large mouth / small mouth -- grubs, jerk baits, drop shots fished real slow in rocky areas.
Do not come if catching lots of fish is the main reason -- if the main reason for coming is to have a good time, seeing the best lake in the world, and maybe catch a fish or two -- make the trip!
Given that this is your 1st trip, you will more than likely spend more time just admiring the scenery than worrying about the fish.

I fish the lake a lot -- I was there 2 weeks ago --- fishing was very slow, but I had a great time doing a few hikes and just watching the sites -- In 2 days I think I caught 3 fish. It was still a very successful trip, and I am heading back down this weekend just because it is a great place to be.
Maybe I catch more fish this weekend -- maybe not. In the end, I do not care-- just being there is worth it.

If you want to be sure to catch fish -- come back in April.

After your 1st trip, it wont be hard to plan another.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion it's all about water temperature. It was 46 degrees last Thursday. I think that LMB and SMB will be tougher to catch for a bit. Even though they are showing signs of moving up in afternoon on the sunny rocky shores. I am also fishing on the 5th of March. I will be targeting stripers in the backs of bays and canyons as I think they will still be in the colored water for a bit longer. With a warming trend coming our way it can change fast so pay attention to the water temp. When it's approaches 60 degrees, hold on!
Water hit 52 yesterday. Warming up quickly

I was there last weekend with my brother; yes, it was cold, and Saturday was a complete bust, not a single bite, especially with high winds in the afternoon, but on Sunday, we located a school of Stripers and caught dozens and dozens of fish. That's Lake Powell. As they indicate on the thread, you must have good electronics to locate fish, unless it's May, and fish are aggressive. Fishing was great last Sunday; I never saw another boat on the lake.

We found some that wanted to play today. Gunsite. Anchovies. 30 to 40 feet deep. Didn't start to catch anything anything till about 2. Got 37 total between the 2 of us.

Attachments

• 20210225_181947.jpg
    20210225_181947.jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210225_144435.jpg
    20210225_144435.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 44
We found some that wanted to play today. Gunsite. Anchovies. 30 to 40 feet deep. Didn't start to catch anything anything till about 2. Got 37 total between the 2 of us.
Nice hall man! Like others, I'm lurking here, contemplating a trip in the not too distant future. I'll be coming from Colorado. I see that some have said that the water conditions are low. Ignorant question here, I'm assuming that the lower section of the lake near the dam, that the channels would be plenty deep, and to watch out for obstructions, primarily when exploring the inlets areas. Again, I've never been there before, so any information would be appreciated. As far as tactics, I have way more tackle than I could ever use in several lifetimes, and it's nice to see that much of what I have, should do the trick once there. Again, THANK YOU to all for sharing information on lake conditions, locations and tactics, as they are VERY much appreciated!!! Take care and tight lines!

I had great success there last weekend in the lower lake, but it is a long haul from Wahweep to Gunsight or other canyons for Stripers. Don't bother if you don't have good electronics to locate bait fish or Striper schools. If you're after Smallmouth or Largemouth, I'd wait until the mid-March as the cold does impact them; Stripers, nada, if they are hungry, they will bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back