Long Shot, Annual Pass Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungee

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Bought an annual boat pass on our January trip, had the receipt in the Yukon. Can’t find the stupid thing now. In the past I had made a copy of the receipt before sending it in for a card. Anyway... heres the long shot. Has anyone had a similar experience and been able to call someone (maybe Powell headquarters) who might have a record of the purchase on the kiosk? That’s the only craptastic idea I have other than dropping another $50.

Preston

This is one of my gripes.

Last year I paid $100 in Feb at the North Wahweap entrance for 2 Annual boat passes. Instead of spitting out 2 decals I was issued a receipt that needed to be mailed or presented in person to receive the decals.

I returned to the lake with my receipt at least 3 times only to find both North and South gates un-manned. I asked the DNR employees at Wahweap ramp for decals, not their jurisdiction. I went to the Wahweap NPS ranger headquarters, doors locked. I didn’t want to mail the receipt fearing it could be lost in the mail.

So what did I do? I lost it myself. It was last seen in my truck so I can only imagine it blew out the door or window.

Bottom line, I was out of luck.

I had my credit card record showing the purchase but there was no way to PROVE I hadn’t received my decals and was just trying to ‘scam’ the NPS out of 2 additional ones. Never found anyone at NPS that would honor the mistake so I was forced to pay another $100 and count it as a lesson learned.

Why can’t the kiosks just spit out the decals instead of receipts...GRRR!

Last year I paid $100 in Feb at the North Wahweap entrance for 2 Annual boat passes. Instead of spitting out 2 decals I was issued a receipt that needed to be mailed or presented in person to receive the decals.

I returned to the lake with my receipt at least 3 times only to find both North and South gates un-manned. I asked the DNR employees at Wahweap ramp for decals, not their jurisdiction. I went to the Wahweap NPS ranger headquarters, doors locked. I didn’t want to mail the receipt fearing it could be lost in the mail.

So what did I do? I lost it myself. It was last seen in my truck so I can only imagine it blew out the door or window.

I had my credit card record showing the purchase but there was no way to PROVE I hadn’t received my decals and was just trying to ‘scam’ the NPS out of 2 additional ones. Never found anyone at NPS that would honor the mistake so I was forced to pay another $100 and count it as a lesson learned.

Amen! I've been in this same situation. The NPS stations at Bullfrog are rarely open in the off-season (which is when I visit the most). Also, since I drive 4+ hours to get there, I always arrive after 5pm to find them closed. So, after a couple of seasons of trying to work my way through the prescribed process, I finally called the main office in Page and explained how/why their plan doesn't work for me. They took my credit card over the phone and sent me the passes in the mail. Much easier! Going to do that from now on!

My experience is they won’t honor your credit card receipt. But it doesn’t hurt to ask.

I also agree with @BartsPlace. The guard shack is almost never open when I come through. And the vending machine at Bullfrog has been less than reliable - it took my money without even a receipt a few years back.

I no longer will use the vending machine. I have called NPS and purchased from them and had them mail. I’ve also skipped the pass and stopped at the shack when I leave (it’s usually open then) and bought on the way out. The downside to that is if you actually get checked on the water before you leave it could be trouble. Also when I leave I’m ready to GO and don’t want to stop.

Bought an annual boat pass on our January trip, had the receipt in the Yukon. Can’t find the stupid thing now. In the past I had made a copy of the receipt before sending it in for a card. Anyway... heres the long shot. Has anyone had a similar experience and been able to call someone (maybe Powell headquarters) who might have a record of the purchase on the kiosk? That’s the only craptastic idea I have other than dropping another $50.

Preston
I know this is too late now but
...we take a picture and then email it to ourselves with the subject matter LP Pass.

I returned to the lake with my receipt at least 3 times only to find both North and South gates un-manned.

The NPS stations at Bullfrog are rarely open in the off-season (which is when I visit the most). Also, since I drive 4+ hours to get there, I always arrive after 5pm to find them closed.

The guard shack is almost never open when I come through. And the vending machine at Bullfrog has been less than reliable - it took my money without even a receipt a few years back.

I no longer will use the vending machine.

Wait, you need some kind of pass at LP ...😏

recurring pattern.

I'm not a fan of paying if there isn't anyone around to pay. Further, if the facilities aren't being maintained (ie: no toilet paper in the bathrooms) then I don't like to pay. I wish there was a good solution, other than just driving past the pay stations without ever paying....

Another gripe I have is that the annual pass is not a 12 month pass -- unless you buy it in January. I sure wish they'd give out a 12 month pass...

I used to buy it from the kiosk as my thinking was I was going to buy it eventually. But after having my decal peel off 80% on the first trip with it on and my buddies peeled completely off of his boat I quit buying it at the kiosk. I’m thinking is was a bad batch with poor glue. The problem arises when you try to get a replacement you need a receipt. But I gave them my receipt to get the decal. I argued with the lady at the gate long enough she finally let me through. You could still see it was a correct decal but just not the whole thing. From now on I buy it from a person and I keep the receipt under my visor mirror.

Yep, I have done the same thing.

My experience is they won’t honor your credit card receipt. But it doesn’t hurt to ask.

I also agree with @BartsPlace. The guard shack is almost never open when I come through. And the vending machine at Bullfrog has been less than reliable - it took my money without even a receipt a few years back.

I no longer will use the vending machine. I have called NPS and purchased from them and had them mail. I’ve also skipped the pass and stopped at the shack when I leave (it’s usually open then) and bought on the way out. The downside to that is if you actually get checked on the water before you leave it could be trouble. Also when I leave I’m ready to GO and don’t want to stop.
If you pay at the kiosk and have your receipt but not the decal you could be in trouble ? Why ? As long as you have the receipt you should be fine right ? Asking because I am headed there next week...

If you pay at the kiosk and have your receipt but not the decal you could be in trouble ? Why ? As long as you have the receipt you should be fine right ? Asking because I am headed there next week...
Sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear. I was talking about NOT using the kiosk, and waiting to pay until you leave the lake.

If you get checked (big if there) and you have your receipt, you should be fine.

After my incident where the Kiosk took my $, didn't print receipt, and NPS would not issue a pass with just the credit card statement, I'm done with the Kiosk.

Tried using the kiosk a couple years ago at Hite , didnt work had a note saying call this number. There is no cell phone service at Hite. Seen the old pay phone by the cleaning station , just for fun tried to make a call . I was not able to use it because it is way to difficult for function.

Tried using the kiosk a couple years ago at Hite , didnt work had a note saying call this number. There is no cell phone service at Hite. Seen the old pay phone by the cleaning station , just for fun tried to make a call . I was not able to use it because it is way to difficult for function.

Ha reminds me of one time we used the one at Hite, went to retrieve the receipt in the dispenser and nearly had a heart attack. There was like 300 crickets in the tray along with the receipt. I get the convenience of the kiosks but why cant they just dispense the actual sticker and annual pass card?

After reading this last night I tried to call the office in Page today and could not get a real person to help me. They kept sending me to a voice mail. I too had trouble with the kiosk last spring and could not get it to work. After about 10 minutes of cussing and trying to get my credit card back, a lady came out of the “closed” shack and asked if I needed help. I was very nice and said please, she gave me a sticker in less than 30 seconds and we were on our way. I couldn’t understand why if she was there working she wouldn’t help people, there are so many this time of year! There should be a better solution than what we have now and it sounds like a l am not the only one having trouble with the kiosk.

After reading this last night I tried to call the office in Page today and could not get a real person to help me. They kept sending me to a voice mail. I too had trouble with the kiosk last spring and could not get it to work. After about 10 minutes of cussing and trying to get my credit card back, a lady came out of the “closed” shack and asked if I needed help. I was very nice and said please, she gave me a sticker in less than 30 seconds and we were on our way. I couldn’t understand why if she was there working she wouldn’t help people, there are so many this time of year! There should be a better solution than what we have now and it sounds like a l am not the only one having trouble with the kiosk.
You probably woke her up with all that cussin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back