Lone Rock Camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephanieW

We are thinking about bringing our 38' 5th wheel trailer up to Powell in late April and do some shoreline camping at Lone Rock. We have never camped there - we are always on a boat. Any suggestions? No boat this trip.

Hopefully you have a 4 wheel drive, deep sand is the situation at Lone Rock. It can be done with a 5th wheel, but definitely keep to the left road once you come to the fork at the bathrooms up top. Stick to camping on the flatter side of the beach on your left as you arrive.....anything mid-beach and further down to the right is trouble for sand. Don't be in a hurry, I'd probably walk ahead to plan your route since you haven't been there on that beach before.....enjoy! :cool:

Hopefully you have a 4 wheel drive, deep sand is the situation at Lone Rock. It can be done with a 5th wheel, but definitely keep to the left road once you come to the fork at the bathrooms up top. Stick to camping on the flatter side of the beach on your left as you arrive.....anything mid-beach and further down to the right is trouble for sand. Don't be in a hurry, I'd probably walk ahead to plan your route since you haven't been there on that beach before.....enjoy! :cool:
Great advice.

We ended up camping at the Wahweap Campground vs Lone Rock. It was easier logistics wise with our friends. Looks like now we are heading back up this weekend and will try tent camping at Lone Rock. Question about safety? When we have camped in other primitive areas (forest camping, etc) we are usually the only one's around for quite a ways. How safe is it to leave tent etc? We will be spending the day in town getting our houseboat ready to launch.

It's generally safe. I've never heard of windows broken out of cars and things stolen that way. An occasional 5 gal can of gas happens though. I'd make friends with your neighbors and have them keep an eye on your stuff - couldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back