Lone Rock Camping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettButler

I always do a Spring fishing trip, we usually stay at Antelope Point on a slip or go uptake. Last year we sold our share and our new build is not complete.

Still, the need for a Spring trip exists, so Im planning on hauling my Toy Hauler to Lone Rock, a buddy is bringing a small Bass boat, Im also bringing my side by side so I can explore the area from shore. Anyways, a couple questions, if anyone has any suggestions for trail riding near page or places to explore from lan???, the hot spots on the main channel to chum up some stripers and close to Wahweap for a smaller boat loaded with 4 fat kids??. Lol.. hoping to make it to the dam and fill a cooler

Biggest question, Ive never camped on Lone Rock. What are facilities and beach camping like at these water levels.. It's so LOW! :( Can I park a 26" toy hauler close to where I can beach a small boat and 2 jet skis? Many Thanks for the advice and helping me feel confident about the plans Ive made.

Stay on the flat ground on the north end of the beach where sand is not as deep and chances of getting stuck are less. Then take your side by side and explore before setting up camp. The beach is different each month depending on lake level which is now very low. The middle section of the beach has lots of loose sand and traps many vehicle on a daily basis. Stop and look and then make your camping choice.

A fun trip would be Alstrom Point, the burning coal seam above Kelly Grade or even Crosby Canyon. On the other side of the highway is Paria overlook which is a large area with several overlooks.. All these places should be found on Google then Google Earth. There is a terraced area to the south of lone rock beach on the west shore close to the rental houseboats locally called the gravel bar that typically holds stripers.

We camped at Lone Rock over Memorial Day weekend in 2017. Lots of people and boats. We had 19 in our group including 8 kids. Water was cold but kids had wetsuits and went out on the tube behind the ski boat. Sun was hot during the day. One of our group brought a giant Army surplus shade tent as there is no shade there. Kayaks and paddle boards were great entertainment also. We had to re-anchor the houseboat three times and the tents were moved once. It is a great place to car camp by the water. One vehicle got stuck in the sand and had to be pulled out by the other two 4x4 pickups in tandem. The worst injury was a red ant bite on one of the kids. We had one atv with us and used it to ferry folks to the bathroom in the morning at the entrance to the beach and for trash runs. There are atv trails on top of the mesa that some of our group went on. I would suggest you get there at least by Thursday morning to get a spot as it really filled up after that. Have a great trip!

Stay on the flat ground on the north end of the beach where sand is not as deep and chances of getting stuck are less. Then take your side by side and explore before setting up camp. The beach is different each month depending on lake level which is now very low. The middle section of the beach has lots of loose sand and traps many vehicle on a daily basis. Stop and look and then make your camping choice.
Thank you Wayne, Ive been following you for years and really appreciate all your contributions to this magnificent Lake

A fun trip would be Alstrom Point, the burning coal seam above Kelly Grade or even Crosby Canyon. On the other side of the highway is Paria overlook which is a large area with several overlooks.. All these places should be found on Google then Google Earth. There is a terraced area to the south of lone rock beach on the west shore close to the rental houseboats locally called the gravel bar that typically holds stripers.
Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back