Lone rock beach camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

powellobsessed

Hello wordlings. I have a question about Lone Rock beach. At the end of this month we have planned a trip with family. While we normally go to Bullfrog, we have one family member that is coming from St. George, so the rest of us decided to travel to the Wahweep end. I was raised on beach camping at Powell, but I have never been to that end of the lake, so I’m unfamiliar with any camp spots. For my first go-around, I thought Lone Rock would be an easy spot to set up camp. I have heard there are bathrooms and showers somewhere in that area. I’m just looking for some pros and cons of Lone Rock. I’m excited to see that end of the lake and do some recon for future campsite locations. The other family going with us has kids who have never been to Powel, so I’m excited to see thier reactions. TIA for any comments.

Lone Rock is open camping, no formal campsites. No hookups. There’s a dump station on the right on the way out.

Stay on the graded dirt roads and exercise caution...it gets pretty sandy the further in you go in. If you do want to venture further in to the east end, you’ll find better opportunities to get a spot on the water. It’s a good idea to bring a 4x4 with tow strap just in case.

There’s usually a ‘lane’ marked with cones for boat launching. The entire beach area is no wake. OK to beach watercraft or anchor offshore.

There’s a restroom/shower facility up at the end of the paved road, pot toilets near the beach.

If you have off-road toys there’s a designated OHV area too. July’s the busiest month so plan accordingly.

We stayed one night at Lone Rock two weeks ago.
It's a dirty, dusty, loud place.
There were motorcycles and ATVs running around kicking up dust all over the place.
They completely ignore the speed limit, and speed right through the people around them.
It reminds me of the wake boaters being rude out on the water.
We almost left, but decided to stay. It was entertaining to watch people greeting stuck though.
It did get nice at 10:00pm, quiet time.
If I went again I would stay as far away from the water as possible, because that's where most everyone congregates.

If you are comfortable at Burning Man or you like Glamis you'll like Lone Rock.
It is packed this weekend with close to (I'm guessing here) 500 people and easily 100 camping units.
We live over the hill from there and won't go near it this weekend.
Party time personified !!!

I camp at Lone Rock fairly often, it is loud and dirty. The plus side is it is at Powell and also really the only game in town if you want to motorhome and boat. The park service seems to have no interest in expanding the camping area to open more shoreline camping so it gets really crowded. Maybe someday they will get pushed into making more shoreline available to motorhomes and trailers, after all there are hundreds of miles of shoreline. And it is a recreation area.

Lone rock beach is your only option for camping on the south end unless you’re going out onto the lake and camping from a boat.

Not really -- you could drive around on the Warm Creek / Smokey Mountain road, and then down Crosby Canyon and be beach camping in the back of Warm Creek.

This probably isn't what the OP is looking for -- but this might be just what others are looking for...

Not really -- you could drive around on the Warm Creek / Smokey Mountain road, and then down Crosby Canyon and be beach camping in the back of Warm Creek.

This probably isn't what the OP is looking for -- but this might be just what others are looking for...
I've seen people camped there, however I don't think I'd try it in my motorhome. Pretty much 4 wheel drive and tent kind of thing.

My son and son-in-law took a trip to Crosby Canyon over Memorial Day weekend to check it out for future trips.
They said it was an interesting ride but the overhang of one of the canyon walls was of concern if you have a tall camping trailer.
They also said they saw a big 4x4 sunk up to its axles in mud. Lots of tamarisk trees for bugs. The maze of roads is confusing at the end and they never reached the lake. So good luck!

We camped with my son and daughter and their family of 6 grandkids at Lone Rock over Memorial Day weekend. Cold, rainy and windy on some of the days. But the sunrise was awesome over the water. We pulled several stuck pickups and their campers out of the sand, saved a rented dayboat that came loose of its anchor from being blown out into the bay, saved the neighbors tent from being blown into the lake and watched as a really big 4x4 pulled a truck, trailer and boat out of the sand beach where it got high centered trying to launch on the south end of Lone Rock. We also retrieved our swim mat from across the bay after one nights storm. It had been ripped out of its anchor line. So anchor everything down as if the weather calls for wind, there will really be wind an if it doesn't call for wind there will be wind

Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments I think I’ll venture further out and find a beach. Like I said I’ve beach camped for 45 years and have it down and the equipment I just am not familiar with that end of the lake but confident I can find a good beach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lone Rock is usually a bunch of inconsiderate, noisy, drunken poops. Even if you beach camp at nearby Warm Creek, I've had the misfortune of setting up camp only to have a houseboat moor nearby that turned into a floating disco until 3 am. The further you are from the Marinas, the more serene the experience. Head up lake a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back