Line recommendations for striper

Status
Not open for further replies.

renegadecj

I'm sure this will get a whole variety of opinions, but I wanted to see what is recommended to spool our reels with. Haven't been on the lake in awhile, so will be buying a big spool and taking care of 6-8 reels.

Sounds like braided with a leader is best, but what braid/weight is good, and what braid/leader?

What is the best knot for the braid - leader and best knot for the lures? In the past we have had some knots break at the lure, and don't want to lose time and fish this year!!!

I will assume you have spinning reels. If talking about level wind reels the answers to these questions are different.

On a spinning reel line heavier than 8 pound test will not cast far enough. Therefore use braided line for long casts and strength. I have found 10 pound Power Pro braid is strong enough and casts a bit farther than 20 pound. I use 8 pound PLine fluorocarbon leader and tie it together with a double uni knot. Always pull hard on the line to see if it is strong enough to lift a 4 pound fish into the boat. There are better knots but I am satisfied with this knot and don't want to learn a new knot unless I have to.

I tie terminal tackle on with a Palomar knot. Its the best. You can Google each of these knots and find videos and how to tie them.

Pretty much the same as Wayne on spinning, but I'm more "chicken" and use a little heavier braid and fluoro. I don't always check for nicks as often as I should. I also use the double uni and palomar. It's good practice to check your knots each time you unhook a fish (while you're there anyway) and after snags in rocks or brush. I often wish I did that more! :-) I usually tie on the fluoro to the braid and then wind it in 'till the braid is at the bail, then cut the fluoro leader and tie on a tiny snap, just big enough to not go through the tip eyelet. That way when I'm done fishing and remove the lure the fluoro leader is kept straight on the rod without any kinks or bends to weaken the line before the next trip. Just my nickels worth.

GregC

Pretty much the same as Wayne on spinning, but I'm more "chicken" and use a little heavier braid and fluoro. I don't always check for nicks as often as I should. I also use the double uni and palomar. It's good practice to check your knots each time you unhook a fish (while you're there anyway) and after snags in rocks or brush. I often wish I did that more! :) I usually tie on the fluoro to the braid and then wind it in 'till the braid is at the bail, then cut the fluoro leader and tie on a tiny snap, just big enough to not go through the tip eyelet. That way when I'm done fishing and remove the lure the fluoro leader is kept straight on the rod without any kinks or bends to weaken the line before the next trip. Just my nickels worth.

GregC

You are a wise angler with lots of experience. I can tell from your examples and have had the same thoughts, "Darn I should have retied one fish sooner...

rookie fisherman here and this may be a will dah question but how many feet of leader line do you typically put on the braided. spinner reel.

rookie fisherman here and this may be a will dah question but how many feet of leader line do you typically put on the braided. spinner reel.

3 feet minimum and maximum is as much as you want. Remember you can cast further with a full spool of line instead of a half full spool. Boil fishing sometimes requires very long casts.

The only time I think its all right to tie a top water lure directly to braid is when fishing a very aggressive large boil.

Thanks Wayne! Exactly what I needed to know. Yes, I'm referring to spinning reels, and since we will be on the lake in just over a week, I'm looking forward to my first shot at boils. Didn't want the wrong line to get in the way of success!! (or lost fish!!)

Get out early, dawn to 8 AM, to have the best chance of finding boils in the South. In the north its much easier and boils last longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back