Lead core line crankbaits for Stripers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry

Is anyone have success using lead core line pull deep diving crankbaits for stripers?
Thanks in advance.

Ditto with what the guys above are saying. I like 100'-125' out...seems to work well. I also mostly troll the Lucky Craft DD and Extra DD lures in Shad and Auroa Black.
Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot for 1.7mph, but sometimes bump it up to 2 or so. Wayne says to troll up to 3 mph but I rarely do that.

I'm by no means saying I'm smarter than Wayne - not by a far stretch. I just have found that speed works for me.

By the way, I also troll an umbrella rig at that speed with the crankbaits on other rods. The umbrella rig often outfishes the crankbaits.

I shoot for 1.7mph, but sometimes bump it up to 2 or so. Wayne says to troll up to 3 mph but I rarely do that.

I'm by no means saying I'm smarter than Wayne - not by a far stretch. I just have found that speed works for me.

By the way, I also troll an umbrella rig at that speed with the crankbaits on other rods. The umbrella rig often outfishes the crankbaits.
How many hooks can you use on an umbrella rig in Utah?

How many hooks can you use on an umbrella rig in Utah?

Hi Garry- I hope this help with your question...

GENERAL RULES: FISHING METHODS Utah Code § 23-20-3
No artificial lure may have more than three hooks.•
No line may have attached to it more than three baited hooks, three artificial flies or three artificial lures.

Hi Garry- I hope this help with your question...

GENERAL RULES: FISHING METHODS Utah Code § 23-20-3
No artificial lure may have more than three hooks.•
No line may have attached to it more than three baited hooks, three artificial flies or three artificial lures.
That what I thought but wasn’t sure . Thanks

Is anyone have success using lead core line pull deep diving crankbaits for stripers?
Thanks in advance.
My buddy and I fish lead-core a lot His lure preference is a Lucky Craft Pointer. I prefer a Spro jig with a 4" curly tail grub. Both catch fish but the jig doesn't hang up as often and is easy to remove from a fish. We fish at 3 mph with 125' to 150' of line..

Attachments

• spro jigs.JPG
    spro jigs.JPG
    457.5 KB · Views: 38
What weight line are y'all using? I'm gonna give this a try in May. I have never used downriggers or planing boards and don't really want to until I see the need. It is just so fun to catch a fish on light line and have to finesse them into the net. That being said I can see the wisdom of using lead core to get deeper while trolling.

Last edited:
I started out in 1986 using Lead Core Line at Lake Powell. It’s what my buddies used so I used it too. But it wasn’t much fun reeling in fish on that heavy line. No sport in that......
So the next year I bought a down rigger and fished with lite line, 8 lb.. That was much more sporting and fun. Now I run two downriggers and stack them, which helps me catch more fish. Depending on my fish finder, I put my first rapala down where the fish are shown and back about 60 feet, and then put a second one up 5-10 feet higher and back about 30 feet. Stacking is a pain and hard to get used to, but works great. We catch a lot of doubles.

Then two years ago I started working side planers. I made my own big planers and they are amazing when fish in that top 10-12 feet of water. I can clip 3-4 poles on each side of my boat. They work like downriggers only sideways. I use the same "Blacks" Releases and slide them down my planer rope out to 80 feet to each side. You can cover a lot of area with side planers. 180 feet across with lines out every 15 feet. More Fish. But again it takes some practice and getting used to. You can’t drive the boat and put out lines at the same time. Thank goodness for i-pilot / copilot.

When you have 3-4 guys (grand kids) fishing on your boat, you really need the downriggers stacked and or the side planers to get all those lines out. Two each............. 8 lines.

Secret to downriggers are the adjustable releases, use the Blacks or Chamberlain releases. Throw the rubber bands and pinch clips away. Speed 2-3 mph for stripers and trout. 1.5-2 mph for kokanee.

Good Luck!!

Next trip to the north end of Powell will be March 29th for a week. Hope to see you there!
Come on warm weather...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back