Launching at Bullfrog after striped bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasep

Hello everyone,

I have a fishing trip planned for Sept 27 and 28 at lake powell.. I am planning on taking my kids for the first time with me and we will be launching at bullfrog main ramp. I would love to find striped bass, and I was wondering where should I look for them?? Moki, forgotten, halls crossing, main channel?? any tip would be much appreciated. Thanks,

There have been no recent reports from Bullfrog. Fishing has been slow. Yesterday for me was slow. The only reliable technique right now is to find a school of fish on the graph at 50 feet or deeper and drop spoons right into the school. All fish are way off schedule because the shad numbers are great, striper stomachs are full and they feed at their own pleasure. I have no memory of having a year like this in my 44 years at Powell.

I am excited for how this will turn out but for now the two best techniques are spoons and perhaps deep water trolling with down riggers. Target the 50-70 foot range. Find schools on the bottom and drop spoons. Early and late is best. Boils happen when and where stripers want them to happen. They are no longer sending me text messages saying what is happening (just kidding!). We only caught 5 stripers yesterday in 3 hours of fishing.
When it improves I will announce it. So get some jigging spoons and follow your graph.

There have been no recent reports from Bullfrog. Fishing has been slow. Yesterday for me was slow. The only reliable technique right now is to find a school of fish on the graph at 50 feet or deeper and drop spoons right into the school. All fish are way off schedule because the shad numbers are great, striper stomachs are full and they feed at their own pleasure. I have no memory of having a year like this in my 44 years at Powell.

Chris Bailey, I usually ask questions in the spring concerning the spawn (BTY) Killed it this year on smallies.....I am heading down to bull frog, Oct 15-17.....asuming no cold fronts and what stipers usually do in the fall. Will there be consistent boils now that the water has cooled? Will Smallies stage off of deeper rocks and points to get in on the shad action?

That muddy water this spring allowed shad babies to grow in unprecedented numbers, makes me excited to see what we get at Lake Powell for years to come and thank you Wayne for your incredible management of the lake.
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back