Latest and greatest on the Walleye action around GHB

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSMITHOO7

I hope everyone is doing well!! We are heading up to Bullfrog later this week, and was hoping for some direction on colors and lures to use, and how the fishing is going up north.

Thanks for any input

Bsmith

I hope everyone is doing well!! We are heading up to Bullfrog later this week, and was hoping for some direction on colors and lures to use, and how the fishing is going up north.

Thanks for any input

Bsmith

Well this is difficult! I will be headed up there next Monday to do a TV show on walleye fishing so I am counting on you to help me get prepared :)

Hey. If anyone has walleye help we could use some recent info:

Also look at the last report here for walleye info:

http://wayneswords.com/index.php?op...lake-powell-tagged-walleye-contest&Itemid=102

We were in good hope bay from 4/25 to 4/29 the weather was great on the first 2 days and we landed 30 plus walleyes each day. Most fish were caught on bottom bouncers 2 oz and crawler harnesses. the next 2 days were tougher as wind was a factor but still scratched out a dozen a day. Orange with hammered silver blade was good as was white with same blade chartreuse and green was also good. Right before night we were throwing husky jerks to shore and picking up a few. Jigging also produced a few during the wind. Look for rocks that are round and river looking as that was where the fish seemed to be concentrated. Red Canyon has several areas like this and produced many fish. Question for Wayne we caught a tagged walleye the tag was red and the number was 2011 he was in red canyon love to know where he was tagged. Happy hunting

We were in good hope bay from 4/25 to 4/29 the weather was great on the first 2 days and we landed 30 plus walleyes each day. Most fish were caught on bottom bouncers 2 oz and crawler harnesses. the next 2 days were tougher as wind was a factor but still scratched out a dozen a day. Orange with hammered silver blade was good as was white with same blade chartreuse and green was also good. Right before night we were throwing husky jerks to shore and picking up a few. Jigging also produced a few during the wind. Look for rocks that are round and river looking as that was where the fish seemed to be concentrated. Red Canyon has several areas like this and produced many fish. Question for Wayne we caught a tagged walleye the tag was red and the number was 2011 he was in red canyon love to know where he was tagged. Happy hunting

I will get that tagging location to you soon. Thanks for reporting.

Where was the mud line and what was the water clarity in Red Canyon. I am planning my trip for next Monday.

The Horn was muddy and we didnt go any further than that the north end of good hope and in front of Castle Butte was where water clarity really started taking a dive. Red was green to lightly brown and our best success was in the clearer water. It says new member but that isnt true i have been posting for years 3 or 4 times a year but lost all my passwords and had to restart. Thanks for all you do Wayne I always follow every thread for a month before our trips. The most consistent spot for us was the back of Red to the left of the large island you will see the difference in the rocks it is only a 200 yard section but it was stacked with fish from 10-20 feet hope you catch a bunch.

The Horn was muddy and we didnt go any further than that the north end of good hope and in front of Castle Butte was where water clarity really started taking a dive. Red was green to lightly brown and our best success was in the clearer water. It says new member but that isnt true i have been posting for years 3 or 4 times a year but lost all my passwords and had to restart. Thanks for all you do Wayne I always follow every thread for a month before our trips. The most consistent spot for us was the back of Red to the left of the large island you will see the difference in the rocks it is only a 200 yard section but it was stacked with fish from 10-20 feet hope you catch a bunch.
Wow! What a difference a week makes! Last weekend the horn had perfect green color and red south was clear water. Warming temps will push it down even further. It could all change by the weekend with cold front coming through the mountains. I’ll be somewhere up there Saturday through Tuesday. Fishing should be steady

Headed to Bulllfrog for three days of walleye fishing this weekend. I hope I can help with good reports. Been reading everything written so can't say I wasn't informed. In maroon lund if anybody wants to stop and chat. Will be anywhere from bullfrog to ghb.

We were also up in GHB and camped within site of that cobble bank under a ledge to the north. We got some SM, a crappie, and walleye off there. Were you in a red lund or a white alumacraft and camped right above?

We were in the red lund. We talked with the couple camped right above and saw you guys under the overhang we never noticed a tent did you just use the overhang?

What are the visibilities of the area (top of Good Hope down)? People have different interpretations of “mud line?”

What are the visibilities of the area (top of Good Hope down)? People have different interpretations of “mud line?”
Further up was tan. Couldn’t see the electric trolling motor. Scorup was stained, just lower vis. The wind played a big factor and the muddy water was a little different each day on the north side oh GHB. Mid GHB and the southern end were fairly clear.

We just got back from GHB last night, got there on Saturday. We fished from the floating bathroom in GHB to White Canyon. We did not target walleyes but still caught quite a few, mostly off the points closer to the main channel, not back in the bays. they averaged about 16 to 18 inches and seemed a little skinny, (just having spawned?). the smallmouth, largemouth and crappie fishing was great. We only caught two striper but weren't trying for them either. They both looked rather thin. The crappies were big some up to two pounds and some of the smallies and largemouth weighed up to 4 pounds. I used swimbaits all the time, others used wacky rigs, spinbaits, and cranks and other stuff.10375.jpeg10384.jpeg
the water was crystal clear in GHB, especially down by the bathroom, and stayed that way until the entrance to Blue Notch, up by the horn the water had some color, but people were fishing in four mile, two mile, Farleys and white's. Trachyte was dirty, I think because of the way the entrance faces the main channel. Great trip, if you have any questions, let me know10385.jpeg10376.jpeg

We were there from the 27th to the 2nd. Water clarity at Bull frog was at least 25 feet, clearer than I have ever seen it? and 64 degrees on Friday. We went up to just across Cedar to camp because I was told by a guy at Stan's Burger shack that GHB was to muddy to fish. We went up to GHB see for ourselves Saturday afternoon. Water clarity was about 15 feet at the Bottom MM 118, very little color at all, no green? Water temp was 60. Water clarity in Red was 2.5 to 5 feet and a good greenish tan. Some of the shorelines were a little murkier due to the boat traffic and wind. Water clarity at Scorup was 1.5 to 2 feet and a greenish tan, but not as green as usual. At the horn it was 1.5 feet and 58 degrees. The water in Cedar and Knowles was really clear too. You could see the bottom in 20 to 25 feet. The back of Cedar dirtied up and was just about right for fishing. Water clarity is the distance under water that I can still see a white jig.
The wind blew every day we were there and some days all night long. Water temperature dropped a degree every day we were there and was 56 on Wednesday the 2nd.
I counted 41 boats in GHB Saturday.
The water is clearer than I have ever seen it up North and I have been going for 25 years
I was vary disappoint to see all the mussels every were now that the water had dropped. Those of you that are old enough will remember a commercial about pollution back in the seventies that had a native American man walking around looking at all the trash and pollution in the land that he loved and at the end of the commercial it showed him with a tear running down his face. That's exactly how I felt after seeing all those mussels.
Caught a little of everything, but not a lot of anything except Blue gill. You could find the bluegill by throwing crappie jigs. When you get those rapid hits but can't hook them, they are usually Blue gills. Throw them some pieces of crawler on a small hook. They are getting bigger and thicker than in the past. I cleaned 80 or so, checked them to see if I could find in mussel shells in them, did not find any evidence that they were eating the mussels.
Hope the weather cooperates for you guys.

Went to the San Juan, for a week, and for the first time, that I can remember, the lake was dropping, the whole time we were there. We caught a lot of 2lb Crappie, with 2 1/2 lb, being the largest. They were the largest, on average, that we have ever caught, but the number's were down, compared to other year's. It was as clear of water, as I have fished, in the Juan, for many year's. But was still great fishing, and like Flipper say's, the wind, dropped the temp's, and slowed the fishing a bit. I will post picture's, and a report, when my brother's, and cousin, go back home.
KyKevin

Went to the San Juan, for a week, and for the first time, that I can remember, the lake was dropping, the whole time we were there. We caught a lot of 2lb Crappie, with 2 1/2 lb, being the largest. They were the largest, on average, that we have ever caught, but the number's were down, compared to other year's. It was as clear of water, as I have fished, in the Juan, for many year's. But was still great fishing, and like Flipper say's, the wind, dropped the temp's, and slowed the fishing a bit. I will post picture's, and a report, when my brother's, and cousin, go back home.
KyKevin
How far up the SJ did you go? We will also be going for a week and staying in the Paiute area. Are the mussels as bad in the arm as the main lake? Very anxious to get into the smallies. Did you get into many LMB. 2 1/2 lb. Crappie very impressive..we're you jigging? I could ask a thousand questions but won't...

We were across from Neskahi, and fished further up, and mostly Gulp grub's, in pearl white. We caught a lot of Large, and small mouth bass. IT was a great trip, I've just gotten spoiled in the San Juan, and the number's were down, but we still caught at least 300 fish. The Mussel's were all over, where the lake had dropped, dont walk bare foot in the sand. I will post picture's of the Crappie, after my bro's are gone, good luck, and have a good one. Allso, I talked with Wayne's netting buddie's, while we were there, doing there sample's.
KyKevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back