Late March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungee

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Finally got back down and fished the north lake Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The storms Friday made for an interesting ride up but we managed. The weather past that was pretty great, calm and mostly sunny. Water temps were anywhere from 51-56 throughout the days. We finally figured that main bay points were best although we caught fish all throughout the staging process, at times (usually the last couple hours of the day) were best. Water clarity wasnt an issue but we didnt go farther north than the horn.

We mainly bass fished but did drop some spoons on anything that might resemble what our novice spooning brains though could be activity, that didnt work. So, we do what we do best and we targeted what you would describe as smallmouth fishing. Ned rigs, little swimbaits on a jig head, jerkbaits and jigs worked. Shad seemed to be a little more effective than craw patterns but both did work and the Ned was the king over them all. If I were going fishing today I'd throw a Ned rid in 10=15 feet of water during the day and shallower water in the later evening. And just fish a tad bit slower.

Overall the fishing was as expected for a usual March trip. I thought things might be a little more difficult due to healthy fish or the cold front but it was overall not any more crazy than a typical March I'd say, at least for bass. We did complete a grand slam, albeit with just one Crappie, one Walleye and one Striper. The rest were Smallies and Largies. Total numbers were around 50, 40ish Smallies, 5 Largemouth... All fish were in pristine condition and fat.

Unless the world ends (which it might) we will be back down in a couple of weeks.

I will add pictures to this post from my phone and will be working on a video in the coming days to provide some respite for those we cant make it soon.

Preston

F2BB3DA8-7C8A-4781-9DAF-6239848CA6E6.jpeg
2041B35D-6EE2-4130-AD09-C89847F901A0.jpeg
4EB2EE05-0B07-4B91-B6B6-43385E403FCE.jpeg
22740E73-F6AD-4554-90C0-09C198AEA3F5.jpeg
24CEDECB-C4BD-41E8-8597-7729B61517B7.jpeg
28D1BC91-BE78-4A21-9D8B-4FCE17B80659.jpeg
56D25EF4-6E5F-450E-95A7-24043B294D68.jpeg
2550740B-55A5-41C8-BDBD-DB50E7496BFF.jpeg
76D7FC75-8451-41C8-AAFC-24CC225DF98C.jpeg
5D25A933-E0E3-4AF2-B121-4BA89B341A18.jpeg
E22DC94E-29FF-4F7D-9A4F-D2F2C68E7643.jpeg
00C173CD-5D3C-48D0-831C-05CDE34B52C3.jpeg
AFC7C8DC-0370-4F7D-AA36-1735E51E3FD2.jpeg
79D1E0CF-989F-4C63-8678-7C9C33D8BF25.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds like pretty darned good late March fishing to me!! How any other boats were up there?

Finally got back down and fished the north lake Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The storms Friday made for an interesting ride up but we managed. The weather past that was pretty great, calm and mostly sunny. Water temps were anywhere from 51-56 throughout the days. We finally figured that main bay points were best although we caught fish all throughout the staging process, at times (usually the last couple hours of the day) were best. Water clarity wasnt an issue but we didnt go farther north than the horn.

We mainly bass fished but did drop some spoons on anything that might resemble what our novice spooning brains though could be activity, that didnt work. So, we do what we do best and we targeted what you would describe as smallmouth fishing. Ned rigs, little swimbaits on a jig head, jerkbaits and jigs worked. Shad seemed to be a little more effective than craw patterns but both did work and the Ned was the king over them all. If I were going fishing today I'd throw a Ned rid in 10=15 feet of water during the day and shallower water in the later evening. And just fish a tad bit slower.

Overall the fishing was as expected for a usual March trip. I thought things might be a little more difficult due to healthy fish or the cold front but it was overall not any more crazy than a typical March I'd say, at least for bass. We did complete a grand slam, albeit with just one Crappie, one Walleye and one Striper. The rest were Smallies and Largies. Total numbers were around 50, 40ish Smallies, 5 Largemouth... All fish were in pristine condition and fat.

Unless the world ends (which it might) we will be back down in a couple of weeks.

I will add pictures to this post from my phone and will be working on a video in the coming days to provide some respite for those we cant make it soon.

Preston

View attachment 7292
View attachment 7293
View attachment 7294
View attachment 7295
View attachment 7296
View attachment 7297
View attachment 7298
View attachment 7299
View attachment 7300
View attachment 7301
View attachment 7302
View attachment 7303
View attachment 7304
View attachment 7305
Wow, your boy is getting so big. Thanks for the report and pictures. Really looking forward to your video.

Excellent Report. Love the Pic's. Have a plan of going down the last week of April, providing no more closures and restrictions come out by then. Y'all stay safe and healthy.

Preston

View attachment 7292
Thanks for the great report and beautiful pictures Preston! Its good to see you and your family on the Lake, It's so amazing watching Nixon grow up before our eyes!! Great post, thanks for taking the time to do it.
Hope you and your family have a great year ahead. we are still looking forward to meeting you on the water!
Be safe, stay well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back