Larry Lewis report from Lake Canyon - Stripers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
We just returned from our May 13-16, 2019 fishing trip to Lake Powell. Elevation was around 3,577 and rose about 10" while we were there.
Myself, (Larry Lewis) Dan Stireman and Dave Guth spent two days fishing the mouth of Lake Canyon (MP 89) and hooked and netted about 40 Stripers and two Catfish. We kept about 30 of the larger Stripers. They were generally in the 20" - 22" range. PIctured in the photo are Dan (L) and Dave (R). We used the basics: Anchovies on weighted hooks on eight-pound braided line. We also use clear 8-10 pound monofilament. We repeatedly drifted through the northeast point of the canyon inlet, and a couple of times all three of us had fish on simultaneously. Since we only had two nets and one long-nose plyer it made for a few Keystone Cops moments. They were hitting at about 15' to 30' down with light jigging.
Thanks for all your help and advice on Bass fishing at Powell.4945

Sounds like a great trip.

Got to say I grimace every time I see a stringer of stripers :eek:

They are not like bass, walley or bluegill, they die on the stringer, then soak in the 75 degree water. No wonder people don't think striper taste good!

They are not like bass, walley or bluegill, they die on the stringer, then soak in the 75 degree water. No wonder people don't think striper taste good!
I wish it were 75 degree water right now! :unsure: But point taken - I did not know that impacted striper taste so much. Good to know.

That is why I always take a big cooler of ice with me and immediately put the stripers on ice never allowing them to warm up. They are filleted and then put in the refrigerator until cooked in the next day or two. For you non-believers out there you should try to keep the fish cold until cooked and then taste them. It is like eating a different species of fish. Try it - you will like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back