Lakemaster Upper San Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdsnest

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
We are going up to the upper San Juan River, in and above Paiute Canyon. I have a Hummingbird 788ci that accepts lakemaster. Does anyone know for sure if that part of the lake is mapped for the Lakemaster? I want to buy it if that area is mapped.

I believe it covers the entire lake, though I haven't been up there yet. I have been in Rock creek, Last chance,Padre, Warm creek, Wahweap and Navajo caynon as well as Bartlet lake and Roosevelt lake in Az. and everywhere I've been with it it's been very accurate. If your thinking of getting it I'm sure you will be glad you did. I find my self using the map a lot more than fish finder these days . You can see the types of structures you want fish in relation to your position and steer right to them, its awesome.

Yeah that is exactly why I want it. To visualize fish structure 1/4 away and go straight to it would be out of this world. The only thing holding me back is wondering about the upper San Juan since that will be our area for a week. You know, you're probably right, I fish the entire lower lake so would be no regrets. Did you put in lake elevation somehow to get current information?
I believe it covers the entire lake, though I haven't been up there yet. I have been in Rock creek, Last chance,Padre, Warm creek, Wahweap and Navajo caynon as well as Bartlet lake and Roosevelt lake in Az. and everywhere I've been with it it's been very accurate. If your thinking of getting it I'm sure you will be glad you did. I find my self using the map a lot more than fish finder these days . You can see the types of structures you want fish in relation to your position and steer right to them, its awesome.

With my unit I go into the menu and adjust the depth there. The easiest way I've found is to anchor on top of a contour depth , take and subtract the difference between the contour and the actual reading on the depth finder . Within a second or two it adjusts and the actual depth and the contour depth become the same and has been very accurate. I'm not sure what features your unit has and you might want to check if it has that capability. I readjusted my depth at bartlet last week as lake has dropped 7ft. in the last 6 weeks.

Well, I just pulled the trigger. Will be here by the end of the week. Thanx, hope the process to adjust is as easy as yours.

You will be amazed just how accurate Lakemaster is, providing you can adjust for lake level. I don't know the specs on the HB 788 ci. off hand. Did you get ver 1.0 or 2.0 ? I run the ver. 1.0 Sq

This is exciting. I've been staring at Paiute Canyon from space for a long time and just keep getting my mind blown. The isolated structures are incredible. Now with the Lakemaster I'm stoked. Will have a learning curve for sure but hope lake level adjust is an option, otherwise I'm doing alot of subtraction. It is a 2.0 and know it will be great on the main body of the lake and probably SJ arm. It feels like a trip to the middle of nowhere. It's been at least 12 years since the last time there. Yeehaaa. Come on May 18th. B

Should be a lake level offset option in your chart menu. I just use the lake level from the most recent fishing report each time I go to the lake. Works like a charm

After calling hummingbird and talking to a super informed customer rep. I have learned that the serial number will tell you which software your unit has and if the software is so old as to not be able to support what you're trying to do(in this case lakemaster lake level offset) you can purchase an sd card and download the newest version onto it and install it into the sonar . Bingo it should work. I have a ways to go to get to that point but it is encouraging to know that one cane keep their sonar unit updated.

We are going up to the upper San Juan River, in and above Paiute Canyon. I have a Hummingbird 788ci that accepts lakemaster. Does anyone know for sure if that part of the lake is mapped for the Lakemaster? I want to buy it if that area is mapped.
Should be a lake level offset option in your chart menu. I just use the lake level from the most recent fishing report each time I go to the lake. Works like a charm
Don’t forget about the contour shading option on LM. You can lake level adjust then set a ft level shading to help you be aware of fast depth changes or target depth areas On LP every one pretty aware of issues but I have used this feature on Kentucky lake there the depth changes out in the middle a crk channels where you would not expect it

2 things, I took my 859 to Bass Pro in Denver, they checked it for updates and found that my software was out of date. They upgraded the software for free. You may have to go into "advanced settings" to get to the lake level offset option. You are gonna' love it. Sq

Don’t forget about the contour shading option on LM. You can lake level adjust then set a ft level shading to help you be aware of fast depth changes or target depth areas On LP every one pretty aware of issues but I have used this feature on Kentucky lake there the depth changes out in the middle a crk channels where you would not expect it
Yes, as soon as I get the Lakemaster we will head over to Mead to check it out, including the contour shading. Thanx
2 things, I took my 859 to Bass Pro in Denver, they checked it for updates and found that my software was out of date. They upgraded the software for free. You may have to go into "advanced settings" to get to the lake level offset option. You are gonna' love it. Sq
As soon as I get the serial number from the my son in law I will know the direction I will have to take . Thanks again

The contour shading is sweet! You can have one color for your target fishing depth and another color for extremely shallow water which is awesome for running. You avoid the red zone and safely run 40 mph. Halls creek bay at this water level is a perfect example, if you run blindly across that bay you will likely wreck your boat. Best tool for lake Powell hands down

The contour shading is sweet! You can have one color for your target fishing depth and another color for extremely shallow water which is awesome for running. You avoid the red zone and safely run 40 mph. Halls creek bay at this water level is a perfect example, if you run blindly across that bay you will likely wreck your boat. Best tool for lake Powell hands down
I have my red zone at 5ft replace59.png
I was just looking at the Hummingbird website and you can download the owners manual. replace59.png replace59.png Screenshot_2018-03-20-17-53-05.png Screenshot_2018-03-20-17-55-48.png Screenshot_2018-03-20-17-57-00.png
it looks like it is doable, good luck with it.

The default setting is at full pool ,the map offset is minus however many ft below full pool. In the image from the previous post the lake is at -43 ft, within seconds the unit adjusts to the new lake level.

I got the lakemaster chip last year when I got our new boat. Works great as advertised above. I have found it to be not quite as accurate as others have mentioned. We troll quite a bit and close to the bank. It is very helpful in predicting upcoming rock hazards, and shallow spots, but It will at times show the boat on the bank when are 15 feet off of it. I have found it to be at worst to be as much as 20 or so feet off. Most of the time it is pretty much spot on? One other thing the you will need to keep in mind if you are going to the top of the San Juan. I have noticed fishing around Hite that the lakemaster chip does not account for silt runoff and will tell you what it used to be before the silt buildup. For instance out in front of Farley and White lakemaster will tell you that there should be 80' of water and the depth finder will tell you there is only around 20' due to the silt buildup.

I got the lakemaster chip last year when I got our new boat. Works great as advertised above. I have found it to be not quite as accurate as others have mentioned. We troll quite a bit and close to the bank. It is very helpful in predicting upcoming rock hazards, and shallow spots, but It will at times show the boat on the bank when are 15 feet off of it. I have found it to be at worst to be as much as 20 or so feet off. Most of the time it is pretty much spot on? One other thing the you will need to keep in mind if you are going to the top of the San Juan. I have noticed fishing around Hite that the lakemaster chip does not account for silt runoff and will tell you what it used to be before the silt buildup. For instance out in front of Farley and White lakemaster will tell you that there should be 80' of water and the depth finder will tell you there is only around 20' due to the silt buildup.
Duly noted. Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back