Lake Texoma Stripers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you add up all the stripers caught in Lake Powell, I will bet we would beat that. Wayne has to catch at least a thousand a year, Reed is 50 a day x 365days, Hotwheels is 500 every trip. Dungee has to many and lost count and too many northerners to count, and that is just a tip off the iceberg.

If you add up all the stripers caught in Lake Powell, I will bet we would beat that. Wayne has to catch at least a thousand a year, Reed is 50 a day x 365days, Hotwheels is 500 every trip. Dungee has to many and lost count and too many northerners to count, and that is just a tip off the iceberg.

I will look up the catch numbers from previous years and post them next week. We do a Creel Census every third year so we have some information on catch rates.

I will look up the catch numbers from previous years and post them next week. We do a Creel Census every third year so we have some information on catch rates.

Here are the numbers of stripers caught which were reported in our last two summary reports (which are done very 3 years). The 2018 report data will be out soon.

"The estimated Striped Bass catch in 2015 was strong, with 909,989 fishes caught lake-wide. This was the
second highest catch ever recorded for Striped Bass on Lake Powell, surpassed only by the 1.6 million
caught in 2006.

Up-lake anglers caught 62% of the Striped Bass compared to 38% caught down-lake
(Table 13). The catch was highest in July and August but remained strong in September and October,
with October actually having the best fishing success, with the highest catch rate/hr for the entire survey."

Our annual survey runs from April to October so these results report the catch for are for only 7 months a year.

Yes - a lot of stripers are caught in Lake Powell annually.

Of interest is that Lake Texoma has a lot of salinity that promotes the Striper population. I have been
going their since 1975 and that salt is tough on a steel trailer. Not as bad as ocean water but...
Deepest water near the dam is maybe 125' best I recall. River channel runs about 60' on
average and that's where the Stripers are. But Powell is a heck of a lot more fun in every way!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back