Lake Closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piece-O-Crappie

As we've all read above, Lake Powell is effectively closed as of today, which is unfortunate for a lot of us that really enjoy this beautiful place. I'll be the "dumb" one to ask the question, only because I know of a few folks still attempting to go on our annual trip next month, but does this mean absolutely no boats on Powell? I know the public ramps are closed....which ones are "private"?....my folks see that the gas pumps on the water at Bullfrog are still open along with the pump out for houseboats, so I believe that is confusing them as if they can still go. Clarification please?!?!? I just hate to see someone drive 8 hours and get turned back......I was supposed to go to, but I'm locked down due to military orders.

Theoretically, all access is closed due to the Utah Governor shutting down Lake Powell boat ramps. San Juan County has shut down access to non-residents of SJ County coming to Lake Powell. The full lake closure takes effect this afternoon at 5 PM. Let's all take a breath and wait this week out and see where the political process ends up next week. I will probably publish a fish report on Wednesday and perhaps include new rules as they develop. The situation is fluid right now but looks like it will "freeze over" this week. I will still be here and let you know if there are any chinks in the armor.

Where people come from is immaterial as disease spread at Powell would be minimal verses Salt Lake golf courses. The real reason may be to continue the mussel farce at Powell. I am a scientist and have observed the millions wasted in the preordained failed effort to prevent mussels entering and the follow up useless efforts to prevent them leaving. I could begin a long discussion of the many routes that mussels could arrive and leave. Our past has many failed good faith efforts to physically contain uncontainable foreign pests like: gypsy moths in the NE , mussels into the great lakes, salt cedar spread, or covid, and many more. Success comes from employing whatever natural controls existed in the pests home environments or in the case of covid, development of a vaccine or treatment drugs. Closing Powell solves nothing.

Unless I read it wrong it said you may enter the park no fees and no manned booths and no open facilities. If a person has a houseboat on dock can they access it and stay on the boat on the dock while practicing social distancing ???. If anyone knows that answer it would be good to know. Can you shore fish on the lake ??? The state directive says outdoor recreation travel is permitted?

Another maybe dumb question, it only discusses the closure of the ramps, what about boats moored or docked on the lake can they be used but not retrieved via ramp or leave the lake ?? The issue mentioned in the Governors letter was not being able to monitor for quaggas .. so he asked for the ramps to be closed. .Sorry but it would be good to clarify that. It does not say the lake is closed to boating anywhere I could see, unless I missed it.
I think I read all of the various orders and alerts?????

OK thank you, that clarifies it a bit....

I went back and looked.. missed it the first time and saw this.... which answered other questions of shore fishing somewhat..

"Multiple access areas of Lake Powell remain open for shore-based swimming and water recreation."

I wish a little more detail was provided to define "Multiple access areas of Lake Powell remain open for shore-based swimming and water recreation."
I assume that shore fishing is included in the definition of "water recreation". I will ask the question and get back to you with a response.

Left a message. Will let you know if I get an answer. WG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back