Lady of The Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdsnest

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
I want to make it clear that I don't want this to be taken as a morbid thread but as a cautionary tale. My heart goes goes out to all that have lost a family member unexpectedly. I know how that feels cause I am one of those people. Now that that is said. As many know I was a marine mechanic on Powell from 1996-2006 and have seen my share of what the Lake can dish out but I want to share something that has not been talked about(as far as I know). My immediate group of friends and family members all know about the Lady of the Lake. She is just waiting under the surface for some poor soul who has put themselves in her realm. I will give you an example. On a fishing trip in the first week of February we were spending the night on a houseboat at the houseboat departure dock at stateline getting ready to head out in the early morning. I drank more that I should have and remembered something in my boat that I just had to have, so left the living room where everyone was hanging out and went to the back deck where my boat was side tied to the houseboat. I had a winter coat on and boots, no lifejacket. The wind was blowing about 20 mph and my boat was bouncing off the fenders against the houseboat. I put one foot on my boat to get in and immediately did the splits and fell in the water between the two boats. The water was about 49 degrees and my clothes and boots got real heavy real fast and I felt something or someone take me by the ankles and start pulling.. My first thought was to get out but I was between the boats with the gunnells bouncing together. Thankfully one of the guys heard a splash and came out to investigate. It took two men to get me out of the water. I am eternally thankful. I guess this rant is a precautionary tale to warn everyone that the lake is dangerous enough without doing anything to tempt the Lady of The Lake. Be smart and help everyone that needs it to be safe.. Let's help this year be a safer one out on the water.

I want to make it clear that I don't want this to be taken as a morbid thread but as a cautionary tale. My heart goes goes out to all that have lost a family member unexpectedly. I know how that feels cause I am one of those people. Now that that is said. As many know I was a marine mechanic on Powell from 1996-2006 and have seen my share of what the Lake can dish out but I want to share something that has not been talked about(as far as I know). My immediate group of friends and family members all know about the Lady of the Lake. She is just waiting under the surface for some poor soul who has put themselves in her realm. I will give you an example. On a fishing trip in the first week of February we were spending the night on a houseboat at the houseboat departure dock at stateline getting ready to head out in the early morning. I drank more that I should have and remembered something in my boat that I just had to have, so left the living room where everyone was hanging out and went to the back deck where my boat was side tied to the houseboat. I had a winter coat on and boots, no lifejacket. The wind was blowing about 20 mph and my boat was bouncing off the fenders against the houseboat. I put one foot on my boat to get in and immediately did the splits and fell in the water between the two boats. The water was about 49 degrees and my clothes and boots got real heavy real fast and I felt something or someone take me by the ankles and start pulling.. My first thought was to get out but I was between the boats with the gunnells bouncing together. Thankfully one of the guys heard a splash and came out to investigate. It took two men to get me out of the water. I am eternally thankful. I guess this rant is a precautionary tale to warn everyone that the lake is dangerous enough without doing anything to tempt the Lady of The Lake. Be smart and help everyone that needs it to be safe.. Let's help this year be a safer one out on the water.
Thanks for sharing. We all need to hear this from time to time. Great to have a good time. BE SAFE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back