Labor Day weekend fishing trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarzArz

We are considering a short (weekend) fishing trip out of Bullfrog over Labor Day weekend. We have not been on the lake over that weekend before, so have a couple of questions.

I guess it is relative, but is it crazy busy, or just busy? We usually spend a week in July which includes a week end, guess that is my only point of reference.

We would plan to either head to the San Juan or Good hope Bay and shore camp Saturday night. So, I am assuming things calm down when you get that far away from the Marinas?

Any fishing suggestions for this period. I have read the last few years reports, but always interested in Wordlings thoughts on it.

It would be a quick trip, was just curious if Labor Day weekend might be more trouble than it is worth?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

PS. hope you are on the mend, Wayne!

Of the 3 major holiday weekends I usually find Labor day to be the least crazy. A lot of the pleasure boaters stay home since the kids are already in school. I think if you are going to shore camp in either Good Hope or The San Juan you will be fine. From reading the fishing reports of late it sounds like GHB is the hot spot for strippers. but then maybe since nobldy is talking about the San Juan that would be THE place to go to get away from the crowds and catch alot of fish. HMMM.. makes me want to load up and go!

Of the 3 major holiday weekends I usually find Labor day to be the least crazy. A lot of the pleasure boaters stay home since the kids are already in school. I think if you are going to shore camp in either Good Hope or The San Juan you will be fine. From reading the fishing reports of late it sounds like GHB is the hot spot for strippers. but then maybe since nobldy is talking about the San Juan that would be THE place to go to get away from the crowds and catch alot of fish. HMMM.. makes me want to load up and go!
Nah, the San Juan is a lonely dangerous place. No fish. GHB is where it is at.

TR

Best boil we ever got into was over Labor Day. Lasted over an hour straight in a smaller cove we were already fishing, west side of Good Hope above Ticaboo. It was the only boil of that trip though. Of course that trip we left the camera at home. Big aggressive boil where Shad were jumping like five feet onto the bank trying to get away. Great stuff.

I've never chanced a holiday weekend, but I've heard some aren't bad at all, as far as fishing goes, all indicators say go north
Thanks Linnel!
Appreciate the input and we are leaning that way!

Dano,
Thanks for chiming in and the information. It is much appreciated!
Been a while since we visited at Halls, why don't you load that nice boat up and come on up, it would be great to see you.

I still have your info and hope to catch you for lunch in Farmington one day soon!

Nah, the San Juan is a lonely dangerous place. No fish. GHB is where it is at.

TR

TR... Thanks for the information, I had almost forgotten what a sad fate awaits those that enter the Juan unprepared....
we'll have our granddaughter with us....so I appreciate your concern and the heads up. I think we will stay North and wake up each morning singing "The Sound of Music" :)

If it gets too lonely down there you are always welcome at our camp! lol

Best boil we ever got into was over Labor Day. Lasted over an hour straight in a smaller cove we were already fishing, west side of Good Hope above Ticaboo. It was the only boil of that trip though. Of course that trip we left the camera at home. Big aggressive boil where Shad were jumping like five feet onto the bank trying to get away. Great stuff.

Thanks Preston!
That gets the heart racing.
We are planning to give it a try. If we can pull this off, I will run up to Bullfrog from New Mexico and meet my son and granddaughter from SLC and we will give it heck for a couple of days. Hoping to have good fishing conditions and not wake up with Bear tracks on the boat, or Crocks or Zombies.

Getting into a boil like you described would make our trip!

Thanks for all your great advice, information and Videos. We really enjoy it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back