Labor Day camping suggestions / Dangling Rope

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBH

My wife let me know that we will be heading to Powell over the Labor Day holiday weekend. I'm not usually one one to join the crowds on holiday weekends, but I'm willing to make the best of it.

I had considered Bullfrog, but I think for this trip we'll make the shorter drive to Wahweap. I'm just thinking about where to go camp. It will probably just be us (2 adults and 2 kids) with our fishing boat.

Rock Creek is usually a pretty nice place, and I'm guessing we could find ourselves a good camp spot there. I'm curious about Wetheril, Mountain Sheep, Cathedral...how are those canyons, or any others that would keep us close to Dangling Rope, for camping?

Once Labor Day is over with, I can start thinking more about 2 Mile, 4 Mile, and Trachyte. :)
thanks.

I like Wetheril, it's close to Dangling Rope and theres a good "phone booth" for cell phones in the main channel about halfway to Dangling Rope. There's not a LOT of sandy beaches but there are some - also some cool narrow canyons to take the boat up in the back. 2 different ones. Of course new water levels change everything.

My wife let me know that we will be heading to Powell over the Labor Day holiday weekend. I'm not usually one one to join the crowds on holiday weekends, but I'm willing to make the best of it.

I had considered Bullfrog, but I think for this trip we'll make the shorter drive to Wahweap. I'm just thinking about where to go camp. It will probably just be us (2 adults and 2 kids) with our fishing boat.

Rock Creek is usually a pretty nice place, and I'm guessing we could find ourselves a good camp spot there. I'm curious about Wetheril, Mountain Sheep, Cathedral...how are those canyons, or any others that would keep us close to Dangling Rope, for camping?

Once Labor Day is over with, I can start thinking more about 2 Mile, 4 Mile, and Trachyte. :)
thanks.
We camped in Dungeon a few years ago

For just a fishing boat, there are some good options in the canyons you are considering as long as you are willing to nose into a spit of sand. And the crowds should not be too bad that far up lake for a 3 day weekend. The water level is down about 5 feet since I was in those canyons last month, but I'd guess the same options are available for smaller vessels.

Have fun!

I am thinking of staying in the slip at Wahweap over labor day weekend. I haven't gone up over labor day in at least 20 years. Any suggestions on where to catch a few fish on the south end right now? I would be bringing a couple of teenagers who have never been to Powell and any catching would be good. Bringing home some smallies would be great.

Then again I may wait a couple of weeks and avoid the crowd.

The report I am writing now suggests that you go to Good Hope Bay if catching fish is important this trip. If its more about recreation then maybe find Chris McBeth's camp site at the back of West Canyon

LOL... I just read this. I wish that was my spot!

Twas paradise, if only for a couple hours...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back