KSL: Long-running coal plant on Navajo Nation stops production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what I have seen in California, the stacks may have asbestos in them, making demolition expensive and risky. In some locations along the California coast they left the stacks up as a navigating aid to boaters.
One of those places in California is the recently closed power plant in Morro Bay (near where I live), where there are three tall stacks very similar to the Navajo Generating Station. No doubt asbestos is an issue there, and yes, they are probably useful navigation aids for boats, but those aren't the reasons they haven't been removed yet. The site is owned by Dynegy, and they haven't yet figured out what they want to do with the site in the long run, but ultimately those stacks will be gone. I worked on trying to relocate the City's wastewater treatment plant and to create a recycled water facility, and that site was under consideration for that as recently as 2016. Had that site been chosen (it wasn't), those stacks would have been removed promptly. It's interesting that there's a divide in the community about whether or not to remove them--a lot of locals see these stacks as an eyesore, while others see them as part of the landscape and a cultural landmark.

At Lake Powell, I think those stacks are an eyesore, but I'll admit as you make the turn around the bend headed south near Rock Creek and make the straight run toward West Canyon, they could be a useful navigation aid for those less familiar with the lake... but not worth it to keep them for that purpose...

Last edited:
One of the earlier decommissioning articles stated that the stacks are scheduled to come down in the third quarter of next year, but don't hold me to my foggy memory. I'd bet my boat the decommissioning schedule is spec'd to smallest details. I wonder if all three will be imploded simultaneously. Page will be packed that day!

On edit, this article outlines decommissioning. Stacks expected to come down October 2020.

Last edited:
I remember watching the blast that opened the cliff wall allowing Antelope Point to have the executive ramp which is now in operation. Lots of folks were lined up to see the event. I can't remember where we stood but it was far enough away that no one was injured by flying rocks. I think it was more of an implosion than an explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back