Knots

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I try to use braid with a flouro leader the more I keep just going back to straight mono.

Lately breaks. On the last trip in novemeber I broke two knots on setting the hook. I used the modified Albright knot. I could put more time and effort into the whole process but I just end up going back to mono for ease. Im a novice tho with that set up so I love learning more about it.

TR what set up do you use? Lines? Knots? And others? What are the best set ups? Last trip I was using spider wire with stren flouro, had break issues, other trips I've used power pro and had loop issues with the power pro.

I use the modified Albright for saltwater, it pretty much never fails. Nicks in the braid and leader will break before the knot when it is seated right, and its not hard to tie the knot correctly with a little practice. its actually a very fast and easy knot. I think the most breaks are from line rubbing on rocks at LP. Best to check the line often for nicks....cant say I always do that when the action is hot!
But I do not think you need braid at lake powell. Unless you are spooning, where you want lure to sink fast and have more sensitivity than you get with mono, the issues with how much harder snarls are to work out are not worth the extra line strength. Just my .02.....

Saltwater I use a double Bimini for backing to line, modified Albright or loop knot for leader, Bimini for class Tippett, double surgeons for bite Tippett....or something to that effect. Powell I just run straight leader and a loop knot for terminal. Spin is kinda new and I have only done it at Powell. I have braid and use a modified Albright for flouro section. If I need to redo something quickly I tend to tie a triple surgeons, knowing that if it breaks it will break there. I really wet knots down to tighten. TR

TR, for flyfishing setups, the options are certainly varied! Saltwater fish can put so much stress on your connections compared to freshwater. I cut off the welded loops that come with fly lines and create my own. Then connect with a Bimini in the backing covered with a Dacron section (that you have to slip over the braid before tying the Bimini). I have had several of the factory loops fail in the middle of tuna mahem, where the fly line was lost....

The more I try to use braid with a flouro leader the more I keep just going back to straight mono.

I've been tying fluorocarbon to braided and fused superlines for 15 years. I do it with a fly fisherman's nail knot tool. I simply tie two nail knots back to back and cinch them together which is essentially a double uni knot. I rarely have a problem with this knot. I've found that I get better connecting knot strength when using a fused superline like Berkley Fireline instead of braid. Fireline is round which I think helps with a better connection. I also make sure the fluorocarbon is not a whole lot greater in diameter than the main line. The closer the two lines are in diameter the better the knot you will tie. :)

Ed Gerdemann

TR, for flyfishing setups, the options are certainly varied! Saltwater fish can put so much stress on your connections compared to freshwater. I cut off the welded loops that come with fly lines and create my own. Then connect with a Bimini in the backing covered with a Dacron section (that you have to slip over the braid before tying the Bimini). I have had several of the factory loops fail in the middle of tuna mahem, where the fly line was lost....

Copy that Dorado, and that is a great idea. I am more of a flats and backcountry guy but occasionally get out front. I have trusted the welded loops from Rio however that is a really good idea.

TR

Yeah I think I started using the modified Albright because of Dorodo's mention in the past. I'd put even more effort into it but I'm just not seeing the necessity for it at Powell. I might just go straight flouro in spooning situations.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I started using the modified Albright because of Dorodo's mention in the past. I'd put even more effort into it but I'm just not seeing the necessity for it at Powell. I might just go straight flouro in spooning situations.

I have favorite rods for each situation. For spooning I use a level wind reel and 7 foot casting rod, which is loaded with 12 pound fluorocarbon line. The reason I use braid on a spinning rod is to increase casting distance and still maintain line strength. Many have indicated that braid does not work well on a level wind reel. I have no experience there because I have not tried it. What I do know is that I can cast 40-50 yards with my braid spinning outfit and my level wind fluoro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back