Kicker motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was suggested by WW member to start a new thread regarding a kicker motor as a backup.

My brother in law had his boat towed finally by Executive Services yesterday and they only charged him 500.00 instead of the quoted 1500.00. So that was a huge help. I have been toying with the idea for many years of buying a kicker outboard for my own Sea Ray and just storing it inside the boat (somewhere). Maybe a 9.9 hp, because even if I had towing insurance it could take a couple of days (like my brother in law’s took) for towing service to get to you. Has anyone been able to do that with built in swim platform and just install the outboard when needed? Thank you all for you good suggestions over the last few days.

My old sea Ray had this exact set up with a mounting bracket off to one side of the swim platform. When desired you could mount the kicker motor on or just stow away. The mounting bracket was a little bit in the way so we removed it and just remounted the whole bracket when fishing only. Three bolts for the mounting bracket and two bolts for the motor pretty simple to set up.

My sailboat has a kicker Nissan 9.8 pushes my 26 foot boat at 6.5 mph it takes a while to get somewhere but I only use about 8 gallons of gas running the motor for 14 hours
My old sea Ray had this exact set up with a mounting bracket off to one side of the swim platform. When desired you could mount the kicker motor on or just stow away. The mounting bracket was a little bit in the way so we removed it and just remounted the whole bracket when fishing only. Three bolts for the mounting bracket and two bolts for the motor pretty simple to set up.
That sounds like the way to go, thank you.

Here's a mount for the swim platform, which I have been considering. A 9.9hp kicker would let me run it on a lot of the mountain lakes here in Arizona as well. replace1-1.png

My brother in law had his boat towed finally by Executive Services yesterday and they only charged him 500.00 instead of the quoted 1500.00. So that was a huge help. I have been toying with the idea for many years of buying a kicker outboard for my own Sea Ray and just storing it inside the boat (somewhere). Maybe a 9.9 hp, because even if I had towing insurance it could take a couple of days (like my brother in law’s took) for towing service to get to you. Has anyone been able to do that with built in swim platform and just install the outboard when needed? Thank you all for you good suggestions over the last few days.

Check out Remote Troll. You can leave the mounting bracket on the deck and easily remove the kicker and steering motor.
I’ve used my 15hp kicker paddle more than I like to admit.
And you may as well leave the kicker on the back and do some fishing.

Way back in the day dad had a kicker platform added to his Larson that also had a swim platform. It was two pieces. One that attached to the boat and ended about 6” behind the swim platform. The 2nd that was removable, and allowed the kicker to mount behind the platform.

The advantages were that when you didn’t have it or the kicker on, it did not interfere with the platform or take away from the aesthetics of the boat. The bad part is it was a custom fabrication and not inexpensive.

As far as storing the motor “somewhere in the boat “ I’ve never had a boat where that was feasible - unless you mounted it on its kicker platform.

On my last fishing boat I added a 8 HP Honda 4-stroke kicker to use as a back up in case of emergency. I never used it for trolling as my primary engine seemed just as efficient and was much quieter.

I understand a contingency plan to get back to the marina in a pinch. But I wouldn’t want a kicker on a pleasure boat.

Way back in the day dad had a kicker platform added to his Larson that also had a swim platform. It was two pieces. One that attached to the boat and ended about 6” behind the swim platform. The 2nd that was removable, and allowed the kicker to mount behind the platform.

The advantages were that when you didn’t have it or the kicker on, it did not interfere with the platform or take away from the aesthetics of the boat. The bad part is it was a custom fabrication and not inexpensive.

As far as storing the motor “somewhere in the boat “ I’ve never had a boat where that was feasible - unless you mounted it on its kicker platform.

On my last fishing boat I added a 8 HP Honda 4-stroke kicker to use as a back up in case of emergency. I never used it for trolling as my primary engine seemed just as efficient and was much quieter.

I understand a contingency plan to get back to the marina in a pinch. But I wouldn’t want a kicker on a pleasure boat.
I agree about storage yeah it may only weigh 80 lb but they are awkward for two people to move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back