Keeping anchovies frozen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

Ideas for keeping anchovies frozen? Usually I find that i can keep them frozen for about 2 days with a good cooler, but on that 3rd day when i want to get up at 6 and head out before the shops open they are getting a little soft. Wish i could borrow a outside freezer on one of those slipped house boats. How long will dry ice last? Staying at definace house, do they have any freezers? Thoughts? Thanks

Not to step on your toes by asking another question, but, I read that you can use white suckers for bait, will they work on stripers or are anchovies about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the day (30 years ago before my folks bought into their first houseboat), we would use dry ice for our week-long trips. At the end of the week, we would toss the leftover dry ice into the lake to see it steam. So, it will easily last a week.

Personally I hate chovies, they are a stinky pain to deal with. But now that using stripers as chum and bait is legal , I would make it my go to bait. I have done it many times and found it to be just as effective as stinky chovies. Try it and you will never go back to all the problems you are having.

If you use striper meat, leave the skin on and the bait will last a lot longer. For chum anchovies are probably better as they are easy to cut and are so stinky. I'd guess that fish can sense them better....that's actually a Wayne question. I see ocean fishermen using ground up fish bodies for chum which would probably work great, wish I could get some of the residue from the fish cleaning station.
Chuck

Not to step on your toes by asking another question, but, I read that you can use white suckers for bait, will they work on stripers or are anchovies about it?

Hungry stripers respond to bait - suckers, chubs, anchovies, and striper meat. When they are hungry and no other food is available then these baits are great. UT allowed these other baits for the anglers to use depending on what is readily available.

Then when shad spawn and food is abundant bait is of little value. Stripers like shad better than bait. During May 2017 bait is going to work great. Then in June and July after the shad spawn, shad imitating lures will be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back