July 28th - August 3rd trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rscottdds

Just got back from a week on the big pond. Been doing this for over 30 years now. Started out with 6 of us on a rental boat and now there are over 20 on an ownership shared 72 ft multi level houseboat and take a bass boat, ski boat, 2 wave runners, two kayaks, and a paddle board or two. For those of you old enough to remember we look like the Beverly hillbillies running up the lake.

This year we had a bunch of family that either came late or had to leave early so we couldn't head too far up lake. Spent most of our time in Rock Creek and some close to Face. We live for fishing topwater and were successful again this year but it was tougher than most years. We never saw a boil and the slurps were fairly spread out. Did the best in the mouth of canyons early in the morning. We would use the big motor to get to an area we could see slurps then use the trolling motor to move throughout the area. First one to cast right on a slurp within seconds was usually rewarded with that tell tale swirl. A miss cast or a cast too late and it was no go. Did manage a few with cast masters after a missed slurp cast but the game changer for us was a plastic shad imitation lure from a company in California (can't remember the name right now). Even got a nice smallie with it trolling through the cut in mid day rush hour traffic.

Had a scary situation late one night when the wind picked up while anchored in Padre Bay. We have been doing this long enough that we over engineer things and have 3 anchors on each side when even slightly exposed. Heard a mayday at midnight on 16 from a houseboat about a mile away that had broken free and was drifting. 4 on board including a man and 3 women. Pretty gut wrenching hearing the shear terror of the women pleading for help. New moon so was about as dark as it gets on the lake.

My oldest son has his 100 ton captains license and runs big sportfishing boats out on the ocean so has seen it all and very calm in emergencies. My middle son is a fish and spends all his free time on the ocean as well. My oldest kept in touch with the distressed boat on the radio Coaching them on what to do. He called the park service but they couldn't come out. The boat wound up on the rocks and my sons decided to try and help them if they could get to them without putting themselves in too much danger. They went out in the middle of the bay and were able to get a visual on the boat by having them flash their lights. Wound up getting to them and pulling them off the rocks and anchored to a pump out station. Really proud of my boys for jumping in and helping people in distress. They had the experience, know how and compassion.

Anyway had a great time as always. It's only been a few days but can't wait to get back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been chasing boils for the last 20 some years and stumbled across a lure that we use exclusively, and is almost identical to yours, except for the yellow stripe. You can buy them at Walmart for $5.39 a 5 pack. Haven't used anything else for the last 6 years! Berkely Powerbait Pogy Swim Shad ... 3"

Attachments

• 0806190830.jpg
    0806190830.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 108
Kudos to your boys for helping the boat in distress. With their experience, it sounds like it was the right decision to make - there aren't a lot of boaters with enough experience to have taken on the rescue safely. I hope the distressed boat knows how lucky they are for your crews' help. Impressed!

And thanks for the photos!

Just got back from a week on the big pond. Been doing this for over 30 years now. Started out with 6 of us on a rental boat and now there are over 20 on an ownership shared 72 ft multi level houseboat and take a bass boat, ski boat, 2 wave runners, two kayaks, and a paddle board or two. For those of you old enough to remember we look like the Beverly hillbillies running up the lake.

This year we had a bunch of family that either came late or had to leave early so we couldn't head too far up lake. Spent most of our time in Rock Creek and some close to Face. We live for fishing topwater and were successful again this year but it was tougher than most years. We never saw a boil and the slurps were fairly spread out. Did the best in the mouth of canyons early in the morning. We would use the big motor to get to an area we could see slurps then use the trolling motor to move throughout the area. First one to cast right on a slurp within seconds was usually rewarded with that tell tale swirl. A miss cast or a cast too late and it was no go. Did manage a few with cast masters after a missed slurp cast but the game changer for us was a plastic shad imitation lure from a company in California (can't remember the name right now). Even got a nice smallie with it trolling through the cut in mid day rush hour traffic.

Had a scary situation late one night when the wind picked up while anchored in Padre Bay. We have been doing this long enough that we over engineer things and have 3 anchors on each side when even slightly exposed. Heard a mayday at midnight on 16 from a houseboat about a mile away that had broken free and was drifting. 4 on board including a man and 3 women. Pretty gut wrenching hearing the shear terror of the women pleading for help. New moon so was about as dark as it gets on the lake.

My oldest son has his 100 ton captains license and runs big sportfishing boats out on the ocean so has seen it all and very calm in emergencies. My middle son is a fish and spends all his free time on the ocean as well. My oldest kept in touch with the distressed boat on the radio Coaching them on what to do. He called the park service but they couldn't come out. The boat wound up on the rocks and my sons decided to try and help them if they could get to them without putting themselves in too much danger. They went out in the middle of the bay and were able to get a visual on the boat by having them flash their lights. Wound up getting to them and pulling them off the rocks and anchored to a pump out station. Really proud of my boys for jumping in and helping people in distress. They had the experience, know how and compassion.

Anyway had a great time as always. It's only been a few days but can't wait to get back.

View attachment 5716
View attachment 5717
Great work by your boys.

Been chasing boils for the last 20 some years and stumbled across a lure that we use exclusively,

I might have to pick up some of those. If you are talking real boils I’ve found you can throw just about anything on them and trick a boiler. Last week we had a real slow morning and the propoint took half the fish. Some of our go to standards didn’t get bit at all. That’s what sold me on it.

Robert

A story worth hearing about -- excellent job by your boys -- scary when it happens during the day -- "wicked" when its at night -- Thanks for sharing

Yeah. I can only imagine how helpless those on that boat felt. I could certainly hear the desperation in their voices over the radio. When they knew my boys were attempting to get to them you could sense an immediate relief in their stress.

Robert

I might have to pick up some of those. If you are talking real boils I’ve found you can throw just about anything on them and trick a boiler. Last week we had a real slow morning and the propoint took half the fish. Some of our go to standards didn’t get bit at all. That’s what sold me on it.

Robert
What makes them good is that they're weighted ... so they're great even after the boil goes down ... just do a 3 to 5 count after casting ... works great with a 10 - 15 lb braided line ... I quit using anything else for the boils .... also quit using a net!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back