I'm keeping my houseboat safe, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safeonthelake

Hey everyone, my name is Scott and new to this group. For many years I've done the typical houseboat rentals on many lakes and rivers throughout the summer. Recently I decided to purchase one of my own boats because it made sense a lot more me financially. When I was renting these houseboats all the time, just about everyone one of them had an AED (defibrillator) installed on them in case a medical emergency should ever happen aboard the boat, Although when I went to go purchase my own boat I realized that there was not an AED on the boat to my amazement. They mentioned that there were rare instances where there was one provided along with the boat when purchased to my amazement.
Fast forward.... I've had a CPR training company in southern CA called A Hero for Life which I've owned for 10 years. After thinking about it for a while I came to the decision to offer these life-saving AED's through my company to concerned boat owners where safety is at the forefront of owning a pleasure boat. You can view the website here.
If anyone ever has questions, please feel free to give me ring, the number is listed on the website

The AED that our company sells the the Heartsine Samaritin. The cost on the unit is $1200. Reviews on the Heartsine are favorable along with a great warranty. I've sold quite a few of these AED's but have never heard anything about the pads therefore that's the one I stand behind. This AED also comes with 2 videos. The first one is a clear cut video on how to operate the AED and the second one is a video I produced covering Adult, Child, and Infant CPR along with drowning.

That is a great idea! What would a unit cost?
The cost on the AED is $1200. That also comes with a comprehensive video on how to use the AED plus another one consisting on how to administer Adult, Child, and infant CPR as well as a drowning situation. Fell free to call me at anytime if you had any additional questions.

The AED that our company sells the the Heartsine Samaritin. The cost on the unit is $1200. Reviews on the Heartsine are favorable along with a great warranty. I've sold quite a few of these AED's but have never heard anything about the pads therefore that's the one I stand behind. This AED also comes with 2 videos. The first one is a clear cut video on how to operate the AED and the second one is a video I produced covering Adult, Child, and Infant CPR along with drowning.
I'd be interested to know if the pads are different from different brands. I wouldn't have even checked except a Denver Firefighter went with us last year, and according to him, all the pads are only good for a year. When we checked the one on our houseboat, they were expired.

The thing with pads is this. The package the pads are in are usually sealed and even if the pads expiration is lets say May 2015, unless the seal is broken they are most likely good for another couple years. Unless air gets to them, there is really nothing that would impair the pads conductivity.

Hope this helps

I like numbers and I would like to see the data on deaths at Powell due to absence of AED vrs absence of a $20 life vest. I seem to recall drowning and ground fault shock leading hot e list. In all my years at Powell, I have never seen an AED on a boat or even the docks.

I thought I'd share the following story, as my Nephew was recently saved in part due to someone carrying an AED. I always thought having an AED would be a good idea, but thought they were to expensive for personal use. Our Boy Scout troop has one, but it was a groupe purchase and also have several adult members who are doctors that got it at a discount.

My opinion on AED's has recently changed, as my 23yo Nephew recently suffered from Sudden Cardiac Arrest, the following was written by his mother:

On Sunday Oct 6th, I chatted with my son, as we do every weekend, and went out to water the yard. 15 ish minutes later, I heard my phone ringing. I put the hose down and stepped in to see who was calling. I had a missed call from Davis. I thought probably a butt dial. Then I was alerted to a new voicemail. My heart beat a little faster. I knew he was headed to a yoga class. When I played the message, it was a woman's voice telling me my son had been in an accident and he was receiving help. Things get blurry at that point. I screamed for Tom. I called Davis' phone several times before the woman answered. She put one of the first responders on the phone with me. He said, "we have a pulse and him breathing again. " He told me Davis' heart had stopped beating while he was driving. My sweet baby boy died for 2 minutes. He kept me on the phone while they decided which hospital to take him to. I called Tom's best friend, who recently moved to Seattle, and asked if he could stay with Davis until I could get there. Meanwhile, Tom booked my flight and 6 hours later I was standing at his bedside in Bellevue, WA. He was in the priority room directly across from the nurses' station plus his own nurse in his room.
He has been in the best hands from the first horrible second that he went into cardiac arrest to him heading back to work tomorrow to a job he loves.
Love, prayers, vibes, positive energy, medical brilliance, a good Samaritan who saw something wrong and didn't hesitate to pull over to smash out my son's window so she could begin CPR, next person on scene having an AED and nurses overflowing with so much compassion they treated my baby like he was their own.
My heart melts every time I think about the long list of heroes in our story.

A pic of my niece and nephew 2 weeks after him suffering sudden cardiac arrest...
1573771399266.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back