I'm back...kinda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joy

One year ago today I started treatment for breast cancer. It's been a grueling year as Clint ended up needing cervical spine surgery in August, a week before my mastectomy...he didn't make it.
He struggled for 2 months and just couldn't recover due to the narcotics used during surgery shutting down his internal organs.
I've been struggling with what to do with General Sam and his Boston Whaler and the new to us tritoon we bought last May that would make our Happy Place even better. So far I've decided that I WILL make an effort to enjoy again our beautiful and peaceful lake...so I'll sell the Whaler and see what happens!
God Bless all and please, take a moment to appreciate all those who make your life worthwhile...I'm still very thankful for so many wonderful memories and the love I shared with my best friend who I miss so terribly.
I still keep WW in an open tab and am looking forward to warm (calm) days!

Keep the positive attitude going! I have also dealt with having a great loss and decided to come back and enjoy Lake Powell again. Experiencing it again has made it even more wonderful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joy
Joy I’m so sorry for your loss. God bless you! You have lots of friends here - if we can do something to help you just say the word.

As I get older the things that matter most are family, church and Lake Powell. You have my sincere condolences for the hard times you have had. Now we hope you can overcome the sorrow and find peace with family and friends. If you get to Lake Powell with a support group, you will find some peace in the memories of days long past. I wish you the best and am willing to help when possible.

Wayne

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and your story brought a tear to my eye. The lake is waiting for you. I am giving my wife an extra hug this morning because of you. Thank you for sharing.

I can't begin to imagine the loss you're feeling, but you should know that there are some out here in the world thinking and praying for you. Our church is a loving/praying group of believers and we will lift you and your family up this Sunday. It is easy to draw back from people in difficult times, but I'd encourage you to reach out and make new connections. This group is a good place to open up, as you've done, and I do wish for you the best in this difficult time. My dad is 81, and we are going to the Lake this afternoon to make some memories, as you suggest.

Joy your words bring tears to my eyes because I think a lot of people move so fast through life, they don't have time to really stop and take it in... We're all guilty of that. And as sure as life is wonderful, death is inevitable and in my view the way we approach it is what defines us. Life and death are synonymous and you can't have one without the other. In fact, without death, would life have meaning?

For me, the key was to experience two life-changing events at a young age: 1) Losing my father to a terrible tumor that changed him and took him from us far too early. 2) In 1990 I was in an awesome accident where my car was swiped by another, turned sideways, and we were run clean over by a Kenworth and smashed at 65mph into a guard-rail. My friends in the back seat by the grace of God were spared terrible injury. I was not. I woke up two days later in the hospital with a broken back, shattered pelvis, severe thoracic organ damage, broken sternum, clavicle, left elbow, severed tendons and nerves in my left elbow, and a traumatic brain injury.

I have since FULLY recovered... but it was only because of a few things: 1) a ton of support from friends, family, and total strangers (care givers), 2) an unbreakable positive attitude born into me by my lovely mom, and 3) the belief that someone or something was watching over me, and I had been given a blessing by standing at deaths' doorway and had the choice to turn back.

These events combined to compel a different approach to life. And I don't think I'm special or unique, I just learned some of these lessons a bit earlier than most.

I am inspired by your story, not saddened. Your loved one was lucky to have you and it sounds like you had wonderful life together, which is more than most people can say (I think). You're still here among us, and have a responsibility to yourself and the people in your sphere to make the most of every moment and it sounds like you've embraced that.

This whole discussion made me think it would be fun to try and coordinate an "open-house" at Powell one of these days. Impossible to meet everyone's schedule, but perhaps we could establish a random week in late summer or early fall as an open period when anyone and everyone can come by and have a bite to eat, a cold drink, and share the beauty of a place that has touched the hearts of so many.

Wayne, let's do it at your place :) Just kidding, but maybe either at one of the Marina's, the park near stateline beach, or even in a designated spot out on the lake like up GunSight or Padre where there's room to anchor a bunch of boats.

We can call it "WAYNE'S WEEK" ;)

I'd be more than willing to fire up a BBQ and cook burgers and dogs (and fish!) for a few days welcoming people and seeing them on their way up lake. Grabbing supplies in Phoenix Costco wouldn't be too expensive and could bring a lot of cheer and joy to the right people (I know some folks who go to the lake like going solo).

Joy, take care of yourself, and if you have family or old friends to reach out to, make sure you do it. That Tritoon sounds pretty darn cool, so if you ever need help launching it I'm sure you'd have about 15 people from this site willing to lend a hand any time.

XOXOXO

Joy your words bring tears to my eyes because I think a lot of people move so fast through life, they don't have time to really stop and take it in... We're all guilty of that. And as sure as life is wonderful, death is inevitable and in my view the way we approach it is what defines us. Life and death are synonymous and you can't have one without the other. In fact, without death, would life have meaning?

For me, the key was to experience two life-changing events at a young age: 1) Losing my father to a terrible tumor that changed him and took him from us far too early. 2) In 1990 I was in an awesome accident where my car was swiped by another, turned sideways, and we were run clean over by a Kenworth and smashed at 65mph into a guard-rail. My friends in the back seat by the grace of God were spared terrible injury. I was not. I woke up two days later in the hospital with a broken back, shattered pelvis, severe thoracic organ damage, broken sternum, clavicle, left elbow, severed tendons and nerves in my left elbow, and a traumatic brain injury.

I have since FULLY recovered... but it was only because of a few things: 1) a ton of support from friends, family, and total strangers (care givers), 2) an unbreakable positive attitude born into me by my lovely mom, and 3) the belief that someone or something was watching over me, and I had been given a blessing by standing at deaths' doorway and had the choice to turn back.

These events combined to compel a different approach to life. And I don't think I'm special or unique, I just learned some of these lessons a bit earlier than most.

I am inspired by your story, not saddened. Your loved one was lucky to have you and it sounds like you had wonderful life together, which is more than most people can say (I think). You're still here among us, and have a responsibility to yourself and the people in your sphere to make the most of every moment and it sounds like you've embraced that.

This whole discussion made me think it would be fun to try and coordinate an "open-house" at Powell one of these days. Impossible to meet everyone's schedule, but perhaps we could establish a random week in late summer or early fall as an open period when anyone and everyone can come by and have a bite to eat, a cold drink, and share the beauty of a place that has touched the hearts of so many.

Wayne, let's do it at your place :) Just kidding, but maybe either at one of the Marina's, the park near stateline beach, or even in a designated spot out on the lake like up GunSight or Padre where there's room to anchor a bunch of boats.

I'd be more than willing to fire up a BBQ and cook burgers and dogs (and fish!) for a few days welcoming people and seeing them on their way up lake. Grabbing supplies in Phoenix Costco wouldn't be too expensive and could bring a lot of cheer and joy to the right people (I know some folks who go to the lake like going solo).

Joy, take care of yourself, and if you have family or old friends to reach out to, make sure you do it. That Tritoon sounds pretty darn cool, so if you ever need help launching it I'm sure you'd have about 15 people from this site willing to lend a hand any time.

XOXOXO
What a great Idea Chris. Joy, your loss is impacting us already, in a positive way. WOW

Who knew a bunch of fishermen/women could be so wonderful and helpful in times of need! Joy, we can only add an "amen" to all the above, and hope you will keep on with your great attitude and outlook on life. Each day is a blessing and you are so right, no time like Now to show those around us our appreciation and love. We also will be praying for you as you make your adjustments. God bless! K&M

XOXOXO
Well Said Chris.

It takes bravery to expose inner feelings but in doing so, others are inspired and encouraged to do the same,creating a more whole person. Each journey to that vulnerable and often sad place strengthens and heals the pain especially when shared with others. Joy and Chris hold a special place for me. Thank you both.

Wow! Chris, your story touched my heart...such beautiful wisdom, thank you so much for sharing your story and amazing insight. Everything you said...thanks! And everyone else, too...I know a lot of us remember the old forum (s) where it seemed our world was a little smaller as social media wasn't near as scary then!
It truly helps to be reminded that we ALL have our losses, our struggles and the option to be thankful for each blessing, too.
This is something from Peach's Neet Feet (Hustle Kindness) that I know you will all enjoy! Thanks for 'picking me up'....

Peach Friday ramble...
Humans are phenomenal creatures. Always adapting, learning, creating, shifting, giving, taking, and evolving. One human has the power to create a change with just one interaction. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. One human has the power to knock another down and, with the same hand, the power to pick someone up. One human has the ability to make others feel inadequate, unworthy, and alone and with the same voice, one human has the ability to make others feel valued, embraced, and adored. One human has the aptitude to exude hatred and kill but in the same flesh covered set of bones one human has the aptitude to radiate love and kindness and create new life. The overwhelmingly rad part about it all...is that it's all choice we, as that one human, get to make. It's all our cussing choice in how we want to spend our energy. This power of ours is no joke...so next time you encounter a fellow human, use your powers wisely and kindly my friends.

Best thread ever? Thanks for sharing Joy and Chris. Life goes so quickly. Family, Faith and Friends are what define it. God bless you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back