ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEDennis

going out on our lake-time houseboat on July 22nd 2019. What advice does every have to get ice on their houseboat?

We have some friends that run with laketime. If I’m not mistaken, laketime will load you up with what you need. In addition to the actual bags, I think laketime freezes a couple of cases of water for them to use as blocks (by request). No melt, no mess and something useable when it thaws?

If you are looking to save $$ Squirrel has it down.

We freeze ours at home in rectangular plastic jugs that fit nicely in the coolers. As the week progresses and the ice is melting, it also doubles as our drinking water.

For keeping the goods cool during transport we simply use frozen plastic Costco water bottles providing solid ice blocks. Zero clean up and once melted they are ready to drink. Once on the boat we use dedicated on board electric freezers.

I have been with Laketime since 2001. Besides loading the downstairs freezer, they will rent you another freezer upstairs that comes stocked with block or cube ice (you choose). That has worked for me for many years.

We added additional solar panels and added an onboard freezer last year. Best decision we ever made. We can freeze about 40lbs a day. Most of our ice is used for chilling beverages so we just use lake water. We bought LARGE trays (Big Ice) to facilitate faster freezing than large jugs

We also freeze water bottles and line the bottom of the ice chests with them. We also lined the cooler with reflectix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back